I know this has been asked 1000 times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Piney for correcting my math. I was out in left field there. I don't know what I was thinking... Among other things, I didn't even account for starting weight vs. finished weight. Plus, to much is always better than not enough. I knew I shouldn't have been the first one to chime in.
icon_redface.gif
its all good chef any input is good, thanks

My brother-in-law swears by this routine for the best tasting, juiciest pork butts on the planet. Cook the butts as normal, then when done, wrap them heavily in heavy foil and place them in good coolers. They will still be warm the next day and the rest period gives them an unbelievable moistness. 

My brother-in-law swears by this routine for the best tasting, juiciest pork butts on the planet. Cook the butts as normal, then when done, wrap them heavily in heavy foil and place them in good coolers. They will still be warm the next day and the rest period gives them an unbelievable moistness. 
If I am cooking at home, I would let it sit in a cooler overnight with no issue - cooking for 100 people I would not take that chance due to the end of the process smoke temp at the event.

I would still rest it for a few hours in a cooler and safely referigerate it - you can not control the timing at a wedding - you need to be prepared for the worst case scenario

It would depend on how many hours your talking about holding them and what kind of temperatures the cooler holds the butts at

If you have the refrigerator space you can pick up those disposable aluminum roasting pans and pull the meat right into those then just put the foil on the top tight and into the fridge. When you go to reheat just pull the foil back mix in the juice and then place the foil back onto it tight and into the oven
Pande,

I have never cooked for a large number, but my son has a number of times. His best success was exactly the way Piney describes here.

Bear

I agree with Piney. I have done this quite a bit for golf tournament fund raisers. I get the heavy duty chafing dish inserts from Sam's club. I think I get 12 of them for 10 bucks and they are heavy duty. Pull the pork and pour all the juice form pulling back over it. I add a little water and apple juice and slowly warm it up at 250 degress with it wrapped as tightly as possible in heavy foil. I also think it tastes as good or better the next day. If you have oven's to reheat it should be a snap. I use my smoker to reheat. I've also tried pulling them  the the day after and it is a pain when it's cold. The last one I did I cooked 90 pounds of butts ( untrimmed) , beans and tater salad for 120 guys and there was pleny of pork left over. Hope this helps some.

Isnt this board great?  Such good info!  I will add my $.02...though i have never done such a large scale smoke.  Watching temps after the cook and during the reheating/serving process is important.  Its going to take some time pulling all those butts so you dont want to let them rest too long...and you want to get the pulled ones right into the fridge.  I would save the juices and not mix it in when you pull...the chill them and skim off the fat THEN add it the next day when you reheat.  Maybe keep a probe in the last butt you plan to pull to keep an eye on the IT.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky