I have a hard time keeping my AMNS lit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbroom

Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Friendswood, Texas
I have a hard time keeping my AMNS lit.  I start it by lighting it with a torch.  I let it burn for a little bit and then it starts smoking good.  I then put it in my MES 40 and it always goes out.  Any ideas.

I have a hard time keeping my AMNS lit.  I start it by lighting it with a torch.  I let it burn for a little bit and then it starts smoking good.  I then put it in my MES 40 and it always goes out.  Any ideas.

Couple things....

What temp are you smoking at?

Outside temp?

What Sawdust are you using?

Is it burning good outside of your MES?

Todd

I am smoking at 225.  I am using the pellets that I bought with the AMNS.  The outside temp is 78 degrees.  Now I put the thing in the bottom with a foil hood over it so nothing will drip on it.  Is not near the heating element.  I have also put a coffee can on top of my vent to create more draft and the thing still goes out.

I know Todd will be back to you in a bit but he is going to ask you this question so I wll ask it now.

Are you using an AMNS or an AMNPS designed for pellets and sawdust. It makes a difference

Try pulling the chip tray out about 1-1/2 inch to allow more air in.... also if you have a foil tent over the AMNPS it needs to be above it a few inches to allow air flow and not cut off the air supply.... one more thing... sometimes the humidity will dampen the pellets and I have to put them in the smoker while preheating to dy them out a little bit.... when all else fails I place the AMNPS nest to the heating element for a bit to help the pellets dry out also.... It seems like a lot of stuff to do but keeping a smoldering fire going takes a little bit of practice and there are some tricks to it... The coffee can on the vent.. is the vent wide open...

Last edited:
I know Todd doesn't recommend this, but I take the chip loader completely out, with the amnps on the rails and the top vent wide open with a can on it. There is a lot of air flow & it burns very good, but the climate here may be different from yours. I guess you just have to experiment & find what works for you.

Man, You guys got this stuff down!

The Masterbuilt and just about every electric smoker on the market, are starved for air.

Here's a good place to start....

After you light your pellets, make sure you allow the flame to burn for about 10 minutes.  You really need a good bed of coals to keep it going.

Place the AMNPS on the rails

Pull the Chip Pan out about 1 1/2"

Pull the Chip Loader out about 2"

Another trick s to add a chimney to the exhaust vent

There's a learning curve, but you'll catch on

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky