I did my first pulled pork this weekend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deltaxray

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I have smoke a couple chickens in the recent past that came out great but wanted to do a pork butt so I did an 8lb pork shoulder which was put on the smoker at midnight and hit an IT of 205 at 9:30 in the morning. Let it rest in a cooler for and hour and it literally fell apart when I went to shred it. Kept it warm in a crock pot till ready to eat. Started with a rub I normally use, wrapped in foil with some apple juice when it got to 160 and used mesquite and apple with lump charcoal.

It was awesome! My family and friends raved about it and ate every last bit. This forum was a gold mine of info, I read everything I could find before I did it. Thanks for all the guys that put their knowledge on here for use newbies to learn from.

Doesn't it make you feel good when everything turns of and everybody is telling you how good it is. One thing you will learn to do is is hide you a little for the next day or two.

Gary S

Sorry I totally forgot to take any pics. I definitely feel more confident now and a ton of thanks to all the people of this forum that posted their advice and knowledge.

Congratulations on a successful smoke. Glad it worked out for you. My first butt, I let my fire get too hot, plus I didn't wrap so it dried out pretty bad on the first 3/4 inch or so. Inside was great but the bark was just that; like the bark on a red oak! :)

Michael

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky