I bought the Book

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by blue, Dec 1, 2009.

1. I picked up Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing today and ended up paying $6 and change after coupons and rewards.

I am excited to get started!!!

2. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

What a great price. I just got my first grinder today in an exchange so this will be the start of my adventures in sausage making as well.
    Good luck Blue.

3. meat hunter

meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

A great read for sure. I really liked Ryteks story "Opening a sausage kitchen". Great investment you made. It is by far the best book on making sausage and meat curing that I have read so far.

4. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's the smoking bible! I still have my original version from 25 years ago. Great book.

5. jjmrascal

jjmrascal Smoke Blower

Great news for you! My old copy is 10 years old and falling apart. I just ordered the new edition last night ($16 though). I saw my brother's new editon copy and it has a lot more new info in it. You'll love it.

I love that book as well as a relatively new one by Stanley Marianski called Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design. I love it b/c he spends a great deal of time teaching you HOW to make a great recipe and the building blocks of it. It is a great read and I really recommend it. His website is www.wedlinydomowe.com.

6. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

where did you get it at that price? i have been looking to get a copy and everywhere seems to be out of stock?

7. hog warden

hog warden Smoking Fanatic

I'll second this recommendation. The Marianski book and website are also good ones to look at. The website being nearly a full summary of the book. I also have this book and used it as a guideline for building a propane drum smoker. A lot of good theory and information on the hows and whys of smoking meats. Once you know the theory, you can start thinking on your own......to a point.

8. i couldn't believe it when I picked it up. I know that many here refer to is as the smoking bible...but I thought that was only because if was smoking gospel. That book is as big as my bible too. I am loving it so far and planning out my vacation during the holidays.

9. nickelmore

nickelmore Smoking Fanatic

I just looked at mine its about 10 years old and has a price tag of 28.00 but I bought it at a local butcher store who I like to support because of the help he gives me.

Where did you find it for that price I keep hearing people refer to the 4th edition, it may time to upgrade.

10. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

my "bible" of sausage recipes is from www.stuffers.com -[​IMG]

its free--in pdf---

many-many-many good recipes[​IMG]

11. nickelmore

nickelmore Smoking Fanatic

Could not find this PDF, Cant have too many books.

12. pepeskitty

pepeskitty Smoking Fanatic

13. I think it's more local to the Midwest, but I got it at Borders. The price tag is 29.95 but I had some reward dollars that build up from buying my daughter her books over time. I combined the $15 in rewards with the 30% off and I ended up paying just over six with sales tax. It is the 4th edition and a great read so far. My bid decision now is what I am going to build so I can smoke more sausage all at once.

I did see it on Amazon.com for $15 but that was before shipping. I think shipping is free after $25. But i couldn't pass this oppurtunity up.

14. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man that "tex-mex" chorizo recipe from them is great. I will be doing this very soon. thanks I love to find new books for sausage.

15. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

stuffers has it all except for wallabee/kangaroo---

you can get that and other pacific rim sausage recipes from this aussie's web site [​IMG]http://www.buildabbq.com/----

you must download free e-book for recipes---
    has all info needed for a beginning meat smoker in it

this is first class knowledge -that hes giving away--

hes a member here---stevegaskin

16. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I found my copy of the 4th edition at Barnes and Nobles and it was 29.95. Now I wanted it so I paid for it. I got my grinder and the book all on the same day my Birthday so I was in hog heaven. It is a good read I'm still reading it. Dang it Jim I thought you would have been grinding sausage for a long time.[​IMG]