Howdy from Pittsburgh!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikejr

Original poster
May 24, 2008
Hi All,

Mike here from Pittsburgh area. Using a propane Brinkman smoker here. Been eyeing up the smokers are Cabela's but havent made the leap yet. Been smoking ribs now about 4 or 5 years in the summer season. Usually use a dry rub, smoke them a good 4 hours and then slap on some bbq sauce about the last 1/2 hour.

I'd say i make a fairly good rib.

So whats the easiest way to get that membrane off them?

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.
I remove the membrane by grabbing it with a paper towel and pulling. Seems to work just fine.
smile.gif

i've never removed the membrane on baby backs, but then again i smoke them for 4 to 5 hours without wrapping them in foil so maybe it tenderizes it....never hand anyone complain about it. I will try pulling it off tomorrow when I rub them down for sunday.

Hey Mike welcome to the forum. Go STEELERS! Anyway, use a butter knife or your wifes icing spreading knife (sssssh she'll get pissed) to get under the membrane and then like Cowgirl says a paper towel to get ahold of the slippery suckers.

You were just over the hill from me here in New Ken. Thanks for the welcome and always good to talk to a fellow 'Burgh person. I'll try that papertowel trick tomorrow morning!

Hi Mikejr from So Cal!!
The best sports bar I have ever been to was in Allentown, yummy cherry wheat on tap....oh la la....although your "happy hour" starts way later than what I am used to!

I have to give Cowgirl props on that paper towel trick, I am always wrestling with that membrane....I like to use the Jack Daniels oak wood chips (I know, "chips" is a bad word in here) when I am smoking ribs, it is the only time I use "chips" ~ the ribs turn out so yummy... my neighbors come runnin'

Happy Memorial weekend!!!

I'll be trying that paper towel trick in about an hour. I tried getting that off before and had a heck of a time. So I just said the heck with it and left it on. So its me against the membrane and I shall WIN!

I usualy get hickory chunks and have normally soaked them, thinking i might try them dry tomorrow. Also saw something about spritzing with rum and apple juice. Might try that too. Cant wait to fill the air with that wonderful smell tomorrow.....mmmm mmm mmmm......

thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!!

A big BOOYAH goes out for the paper towel trick. I got it off all but one rack of them. That last rack I just couldnt get anything off but little tiny pieces so I said the heck with it.

ETA to smoker lighting, first of 2008, 2 hours......tick tock tick tock.....i rubbed my meat yesterday and they've been sitting in the fridge just flavorizing for 24 hours now.....i can smell it now!

A big BOOYAH goes out for the paper towel trick. I got it off all but one rack of them. That last rack I just couldnt get anything off but little tiny pieces so I said the heck with it.

ETA to smoker lighting, first of 2008, 2 hours......tick tock tick tock.....i rubbed my meat yesterday and they've been sitting in the fridge just flavorizing for 24 hours now.....i can smell it now!

Welcome to the forum Mike! If you couldn't get the membrane off of the one rack, there's a good chance it was already removed before they packed it....that's all you'll get if it's already gone.....bits and pieces.

Sounds like you've got a good smoke planned........Enjoy your weekend!!

L8r,
Eric

Glad to hear the paper towel trick worked, Mike. Anything rubbed down and in the fridge for the next day always makes a nice smell in there!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Good luck with the ribs, hope it's nice up there!!

Welcome Mike. Glad you found us. May I say, Pitt rocks!! I have clients in Pitt and have been to the city a couple times. Great place to have a n Inp and Irn. (client sent me a who to speek Pitt book)

The ribs turned out great. Still have some left overs in the fridge. Might have those for lunch tomorrow. Just put the smoker away today and was whiffing that great smokey smell as I carried it into the garage.

I tried the whiskey and apple juice spritz. Didnt really notice a taste difference but it did keep them nice and moist while the smoke was doing its thing.

Had a great day yesterday, today was typical pittsburgh day...sun, then cloudy, then sun, then rain.....argh

did manage to grill up some Smith's hot dogs and some Jalepeno Burgers on the grill and washed them down with a few cold Landsharks!

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone. Cant wait for the next smoke out....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky