Howdy from Houston!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

birdie

Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Houston Texas
I'm so glad I found this site!  I was looking for info on whether live oak could be used for smoking.  I use oak that I've purchased but I'll admit I never thought of asking what kind of oak it was.  der.  Anyway, we've got a live oak that needs a sizable branch removed and it occurred to me that instead of sending it to the landfill, I could use it for smoking!  Thus my reason for searching out the answer and this is the site I found what I was looking for.

I've been smoking briskets, ribs, chicken, even mussels, for a lot more years than I wanna admit.  I've got a Lyfe Tyme smoker that I've had for about 20 years...maybe even longer.  It doesn't look new anymore but it sure produces some might fine foods.

Anyway, happy I found these wonderful forums! 

Good evening and welcome to the forum. Keep in mind any smoking wood need to be properly seasoned. Using green wood will leave a strong bitter taste.

Gary S

Thanks Gary!  I appreciate your welcoming me!

My husband and I have already been discussing where we can put the cut wood so that it can season.  In this climate (humid!) it'll probably take until next season before it's ready.  But that's ok since I already have some oak that I use along with pecan. 

Have a great day!!

The hickory we have been using is a little over a year old, We just got about a cord and a half of pecan.It should be ready about this time next year,

Gary S

Thanks Waterin!  Glad to be part of your group!!

I love hickory!  It took me a while to realize that mesquite and pecan weren't the only woods out there!  Hickory and pork anything is a match made in piggy heaven!  My fave are the SLC ribs.  I brine them for 24 hours then smoke 'em for 3 or 4 and finish 'em off in a low 'n slow oven.  To die for!   I've also used hickory (actually my very first time using the stuff) was when I smoked some buckboard bacon I made.  It was like 'where have you been all my life!'.

I'd love to get my hands on some apple wood but it's nearly impossible.  The guy I buy my other smokin' woods from told me he can barely get it out of the truck and it's gone.  Someday.....

Thanks Waterin!  Glad to be part of your group!!

I love hickory!  It took me a while to realize that mesquite and pecan weren't the only woods out there!  Hickory and pork anything is a match made in piggy heaven!  My fave are the SLC ribs.  I brine them for 24 hours then smoke 'em for 3 or 4 and finish 'em off in a low 'n slow oven.  To die for!   I've also used hickory (actually my very first time using the stuff) was when I smoked some buckboard bacon I made.  It was like 'where have you been all my life!'.

I'd love to get my hands on some apple wood but it's nearly impossible.  The guy I buy my other smokin' woods from told me he can barely get it out of the truck and it's gone.  Someday.....

birdie, I do like hickory myself as well as pecan.... Never been much for mesquite, just not the smoke I prefer .... That's a funny thing on your bacon... "Where have you been all my life ". LOL. That's great ! I tell ya, been on an apple wood kick as of late & really like it ! If ya look on Amazon, they have apple chips & chunks if that's what your smoker uses, sorry not familiar with your smoker but if it takes chips or chunks, that'd be a good place to get them IMHO !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky