How would this work for a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
My beer fridge recently died. Before I call the scrap man would this be any good for a smoker build? I know the racks would have to go but what about the glass door?
f37e5ad9debab22dc050d0915123fe0e.jpg

I'm thinking great for a cold smoker, but what's going to melt if you heat it up?​
The racks have a plastic type coating on them, there is a light with a plastic shield at the door and a fan motor in the top.  Guess it would all depend on how hot it was going to be used.

T

That's a TRUE fridge i have actually been all around one of their plants that make those they are lined with a foam like insulation (i assume is toxic if heated since it is obviously an older model) and i highly doubt any of the gaskets or seals are made for higher temps. So all of that being said that would make an excellent cold smoker. But i cant recommend hot smoking in one of these unless is has been gutted of all parts that would be questionable for heat tolerance. 

not suitable for a hot smoker conversion. look for an older fridge than has a metal insert. the foam in the one you have will melt and burn, its a major fire hazard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky