How to ensure tender BB Ribs..?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tidesmoker

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
I have a 30" MES... The first rack I cooked tasted good, but it was too tough and the meat wasn't pulling back from the bone.

I used some water/beer in my drip pan, but I didn't use any foil (or any 2-2-1 method)... Is that the problem? Thanks.

I have a 30" MES... The first rack I cooked tasted good, but it was too tough and the meat wasn't pulling back from the bone.

I used some water/beer in my drip pan, but I didn't use any foil (or any 2-2-1 method)... Is that the problem? Thanks.
How long and hot did you cook them at?

I went for 4-1/2 hours straight through...at 225F. I added wood chips every 90 minutes.

I went for 4-1/2 hours straight through...at 225F. I added wood chips every 90 minutes.
'

Sounds like they didn't cook long enough.   Foiling is the quickest/easiest way to get them tender.   It basically kind of steams the meat.  If foiled for too long though, the meat can turn to mush.

I rarely do spareribs in my MES30, but when I do:

3.5 hrs. @ 225deg. in the smoker.

Foil with my finishing sauce in oven for 1 hr @ 200deg.

Open foil, pour off excess liquid and glaze uncovered for 10min more.

Let them rest with foil closed back up for 20-30 min.

Note: I only pulled the membranes and rarely trim.  I never trim fat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky