How long does it take to smoke two 4-pound butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here it is! Btw, any recommendations on cleaning an electric smoker?[ATTACHMENT=1464]image.jpg (2,727k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=1465]image.jpg (2,441k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=1466]image.jpg (2,176k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=1467]image.jpg (1,737k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Looks great. I like to keep that "smoked in" look, I don't clean my smoker. Grates yes I wash the big chunks off in the sink after don't the smoke. I leave the walls nice and seasoned. If you get a big puddle of grease in the bottom or something yes clean that up.

Here it is! Btw, any recommendations on cleaning an electric smoker?
5cbfcf91_image.jpg
32ab9a2a_image.jpg
e3776b5d_image.jpg
b59b1299_image.jpg
will the grates fit in your dishwasher? if not  you can fill a pan or 2 of water and maybe some citrus and crank the temp up to steam the inside of the smoker then take the grates out and scrub them. 

you dont necessarily want to clean the inner walls as thats "seasoning"...and help flavor meats in future smokes

Need some help. I cooked 3 butts this weekend on a electric smoker and 2 of the 3 took 17hrs. 1 was 7 lbs and the other 2 were 4.5 lbs. I started off cooking them at 225 fir the first 12hrs. One 4.5 lb finished but the other 2 hung up at 160° so I had to bump the temp up and after 2 more hrs they were stuck at 170°. So I ended up taking one out and putting n another smoker. After dome time at 260• they finally finished. Can somebody tell me why they too do darn long. I put in to cooking for 1.5 hrs per pound.
Thx

Are you sure your thermometers are reading correctly? Sounds like your smoker wasn't at the temperature you thought it was.

If thats not the case, not all meats cook the same. Some hAve longer stalls and some have shorter. I usually estimate 2 hours per pound to account for this and resting time. So with that in mind your 7 lb butt would have taken 14 hours

They took so darn long because you cooked at 225°, next time turn up the heat. There is no advantage to cooking butts at that temp IMHO.

So I should cook them about 2hrs per lb at about 240?
There is never an exact method but i always error on the side of caution by going 2 hour per pound because i also like to let it rest for atleast 2 hours. I've smoked from 225-300 and have had great results. But going a little hotter will most of the time get you over the stall quicker. 

Always start early, you can put the finished butts in a cooler to hold if they are finished early. I just smoked a 7.5# butt at 225*, it took 22 hours to get to 203*. Sure was good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky