How do you router your meat probes on a Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goldmine1965

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Iowa
Curious as to how you route the wire for your meat probe on a Masterbuilt 30. Do you route it down through the top vent? Or do run it out the door? Wouldn't running it out the door break the seal?

Just seasoned my smoker today and hope to smoke a turkey Saturday.

Thanks,

Tracy

Curious as to how you route the wire for your meat probe on a Masterbuilt 30. Do you route it down through the top vent? Or do run it out the door? Wouldn't running it out the door break the seal?

Just seasoned my smoker today and hope to smoke a turkey Saturday.

Thanks,

Tracy
Yes---Down through the top vent.

I wouldn't want to put mine through the door seal, especially a lot of times.

Bear

Last edited:
Use the vent.  Tip - remove the probes as you finish your cook.  My vent is covered in creosote.  Once the smoker cools, I cant open or close the vent and the probes get stuck in the smoker unless the vent is wide open. 

I also route the probes through the top vent. I do this before the smoker's turned on and I remove them after the smoker's turned off and cooled down inside.

For the first time in over 3 years my top vent stuck closed and even the plastic tab pulled off when I tried to move it. It was easy to put back on. After the smoker had cooled the top vent moved easily. You just need to clean both the top of the vent and also the round chamber (or whatever it's called) beneath it. I don't know if it's creosote but you do get a lot of buildup below the top vent.

I also route the probes through the top vent. I do this before the smoker's turned on and I remove them after the smoker's turned off and cooled down inside.

For the first time in over 3 years my top vent stuck closed and even the plastic tab pulled off when I tried to move it. It was easy to put back on. After the smoker had cooled the top vent moved easily. You just need to clean both the top of the vent and also the round chamber (or whatever it's called) beneath it. I don't know if it's creosote but you do get a lot of buildup below the top vent.
I clean mine every time I use the Smoker

I clean mine every time I use the Smoker
That's very smart and very quick of you. It took me over 3 years to figure out I was getting carbon and grease buildup inside the top vent. I also think that what made the vent sticky this last time was what I was smoking. I dried dry brining two sockeye salmon fillets and after I finished I saw and smelled sticky residue inside the smoker, on the drip pan and foil, the racks below where the salmon was, and inside the top vent. As I wrote, once the smoker cooled the vent was sliding open and closed easily. I still cleaned the inside of it and wiped down the inside of the smoker.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky