How do I get more smoke flavor...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Absolutely, a whole Step by Step would make it easier, but meanwhile people were making it look like he was trying to get to 190* IT by cold smoking.

There's no way he was trying that.

He said in the beginning he uses a "Super Cooker" and then later he said from cold smoker to cc. I have no idea what a cc is, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying it appears as though he's making smoke in some kind of a cold smoker, and sending it into a "cc" or a "Super Cooker".

He can clear this up, but by now he might have had enough.

Bear
CC would be cooking chamber.

Gary s it's hard to explain so bear with me, we have an old Super Cooker on wheels that has a gas burner from end to end, we can dial the temp down as low as 160 if we want to by :droolregulating the gas and apply smoke via smoke Ventura unit (home built) thru a small hole in the end of the cooker, sorry I don't have any pics of the cooker, anyway, the smoker unit puts out wonderful tbs but we have to generate more smoke or change something to get more flavor. I will try to get some pics but the weather tomorrow is supposed to be nasty here. I think though, that our chips are just not cutting it.
Bearcarver, I went back and re read your comment and that's exactly what we do, almost to the letter, and it still feel like we could get more smoke flavor...
Lj,

I'm guessing that your cooker is similar to this one:

You've added an external smoke generator somewhere on the cooker but you aren't getting enough smoke flavor.

A couple of questions for you.  Where does the smoke enter the chamber relative to the smoke stack / exhaust vent on top?  Does the cooker have any other dampers or vents ?  If so, where are they in relation to the smoke generator ?  

With regards to the generator itself, is it capable of producing more clean blue smoke ?

What I'm seeing is that the cooker isn't really designed as a smoker and you are trying to fill a vast amount of space with what might be a small amount of smoke.   Placement of the smoke generator would be important, as would trying to control the draft to get the smoke to linger throughout the chamber.  Even if all that is optimal, it might be that your smoke generator just doesn't produce enough smoke for a chamber of that volume.   You might need to look into adding additional generators to get the level of smoke that you want.

Hey

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

CC would be cooking chamber.
Thank You!!

Bear
Bearcarver, I went back and re read your comment and that's exactly what we do, almost to the letter, and it still feels like we could get more smoke flavor...
OK, In that case, if everybody else was happy, and you wanted more smoke flavor, it could be because you are more like me, and you just love smoky flavor. You could be another "Smoke Hound"!!!
biggrin.gif

You could try using 100% Hickory, and if your smoke generator doesn't put out enough smoke, you could look into getting an Amazing Smoker, and for a smoker the size of yours I would recommend the 12" AMNTS (Tube Smoker).

Also like I said earlier, when doing a Butt, Brisket, or anything that is going to about 200* IT, don't stop putting smoke on it at 150*IT. Go to at least 165*IT, and possibly think about not foiling your Butt at all, and keep smoke on it all the way to 200* IT.

Hope this helps,

Bear

O-K here is my thought since seeing the picture.  Can you get a rack or some kind of support that fits below your cooking grates and above your burners, If so you can take a pan 12 x 12 - 12 x 16 whatever you have and fill it with chips or try chunks, I do this on my gas grill when I am wanting a smokey flavor I usually wrap my chips in foil, but I'm not doing a long smoke. I think people who have vertical gas smokers fill a pan with chunks or chips and it works pretty well. Sorry for not having a solid answer but I am a charcoal and wood guy, Maybe some of the Gas smokers will chime in.

Gary S

Yep Bearcarver, this one is pretty close to ours and it originally was just for grilling,we rescued it from the dump, we place the smoke generator on the end opposite the hitch and it is thru the end just to the side of clean out door barely under the grate. We use the chimney damper to control smoke and the smoke generator will have nice smoke coming from every seam for a 20-30 minutes period, then we have to refill chips. I think you are correct that we are trying to smoke too large an area and need to supplement with an additional tray of wood/chips or something like it. I will also try to smoke longer and may forego the foil wrap next time to see if that gives me the level of smoke we desire. Thanks also to gary s for advice, you guys are all hitting on the same ideas.

Yep Bearcarver, this one is pretty close to ours and it originally was just for grilling,we rescued it from the dump, we place the smoke generator on the end opposite the hitch and it is thru the end just to the side of clean out door barely under the grate. We use the chimney damper to control smoke and the smoke generator will have nice smoke coming from every seam for a 20-30 minutes period, then we have to refill chips. I think you are correct that we are trying to smoke too large an area and need to supplement with an additional tray of wood/chips or something like it. I will also try to smoke longer and may forego the foil wrap next time to see if that gives me the level of smoke we desire. Thanks also to gary s for advice, you guys are all hitting on the same ideas.
Lj, you might also try and see if it's possible to introduce the smoke down near the bottom of the chamber instead of just under the grates.   Additionally, if smoke is coming from every seam, then it's not hanging around and flavoring the meat.  Might see if you can seal some of those seams if possible. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky