How Did You Choose The Temperature That You Barbecue At?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I kinda just pick where the smoker wants to settle in at each day. I try to keep it between 225 and 275 for pork and above 300 for chicken. I've realized for me there isn't much of a flavor difference for pulled pork between the whole cook at 225 or the whole cook at 275.

So what temp are you trying today?

Most of all barbecue should be relaxing, not stressful. 

Today I had the mes30 right at 280* and I have 2 shoulders on there. Put them in at 4:30 am and not they are at 187* and 194*. Took a peak and they look great. I like it that they will be able to rest a couple hours before pulling.

I was going to put a pork picnic shoulder in the smoker today but i checked the times it would take (10-12 hours) and decided it's going in the pressure cooker instead and i'll add some liquid smoke for flavour.  From one extreme to the other.  Waking up a 4am to get the smoker going wasn't in the cards today.  I'd rather use the charcoal for ribs, chicken or pork loin or a smaller beef roast, get more out of the bag that way.

Mine are cruising along now at 280*.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky