Hope this turns out ok!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lovinsmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Lincoln NE
Started my 5# brisket in the smoker around 7:30 pm. Had issues with the remote thermometer not working! Thought I was sitting at 177 in the smoker, stayed a little too steady and by the time it occured to me to check the one out there, it was up to 290 and had been for at least 30-45 minutes. Got the temp regulated,continued the smoke for the remainder of the 3 hours I'd planned before moving it indoors with the ribs I'm finishing off in the oven. Juiced and wrapped all, stuck the probe in the smaller of the 2 and after 3 hours it's only at 128. Looking pretty good but I'm wondering if that long flash of high temp will dry it out?
ab81e371_m2.jpg

Just add some bbq sauce or the retained juices to the brisky if it is to dry. I kind of had the same problem last night, my wsm's dome temp gauge totally stopped measuring heat and my maverick probe keeps loosing the signal, been a long night. 

If it's wrapped in foil with some juices it will stay moist & tender. Most of us smoke them until about 165, then foil. If you foiled this early you may not get as much smoke flavor as you would of if you had let it go to 165, which would probably take 5 or 6 hours, sometimes longer. Good luck & let us know how it turns out.

@ RP RibKing,

Hey RP if that was just a standard RediCheck 73, Try the new 732.  I used to have the problem of dropped signals a lot, but with the 732 it has been just fine!

@ RP RibKing,

Hey RP if that was just a standard RediCheck 73, Try the new 732.  I used to have the problem of dropped signals a lot, but with the 732 it has been just fine!

Retread, I feel like a dummy this mornin', I could have switched domes since I have 2 wsm's. I do like my trusty Redi-check it never fails butt it was in the butt. Sorry, LovinSmokin for the Hi-jacked thread.

I agree - you should be OK but you are violating one of the basic rules of smoking - if it starts in the smoker it finishes in the smoker !!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky