Homemade keg smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gramason

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 29, 2007
HdG Maryland
I finished up my keg smoker today, with the help of my buddy Blake (Smokies my pet). We have been working on it off and on for a couple weeks. Its made with a half keg for the smoke box, and a quarter keg for the fire box. Its not the prettiest thing but it seems to hold a good temp. We burnt it off twice so far, and I plan on smoking something on it this weekend. I'll be sure to have some q-view and a report on how it works out.

Your rite it aint pretty but then it aint for lookin at, IT'S FOR SMOKIN!!! Bet that bad boy does a good job too. Look forward to the pics.

Nice job. I like creativity, whether it's hardware, smokin', grillin', or chillin'.

Consumed just before the thought process kicked in as to what to do with the empties...
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Nice job Gramason!

ahh somebody beat me to it! Keg smoker looks pretty good!
I've been talking about it for awhile.

Great Job!

11.gif

Thanks you all. glued2it, I saw your post a while ago. I have a bunch of emties sitting around and have been pondering a way to make one. It was'nt to bad, we just threw this one together. I have some changes for the next one whenever we get around to it.

Cool I would like to see it too. I got two brand new empties I wanted to use. I even thought about joing two of them together to create a larger smoking chamber. I thought it might look funny though. It really wouldn't look much like a keg after that.

I would like to find a cleaner way to cut them. The cutting wheel worked pretty good but I want a more precise cut.(perfectionist)
Wonder if a machine shop could do it?

Gramason, I wouldn't worry to much about it not looking the best, hell neither do I, but I can turn out some good "Q" too. I always wanted to do that with a keg.

Nice cooker!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Looking forward to your Qviews.

FlaGriller, I wish I could weld too. Wonder if I could go to the nearest vo-tech to learn?

We used a Dremmel reinforced wheel to cut the top out of the keg I have (used to brew 10 gallon batches of beer), and it did very well... makes quite a racket*

Got a friend who has one of the qtr. kegs and he keeps asking me... what can we do with it?

Now We Know... :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Cowgirl - I've wondered the same thing... tons of stuff I could do if I could weld...

looks good Lance. Hope you go to belair next year,also gavanels is
suppose to have a non sactioned cook off in april. hope to see you ther as well.
see you nov.17 for the pit beef at the firehouse.
remember rub it ,smoke it and sauce it.
SEE YA

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky