HOG CASINGS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin pop-pop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
Allentown Pa.
Another question from a newbie to sausage making.

Is there some way to figure out how many casings to

soak so you have enough for the meat mixture. I have

approx. 17 lbs of pork and a pack of 200 -227 hog casings

The sausage maker says 1lb of meat for 2' of casing. But it depends on your casing size and how full you stuff but that's what I'd go off of.

Thanks mrbeef do you think I can soak them overnight.

it says to soak for 40-50 min. and then change water and soak another 30-40

Yes, you can certainly soak them overnight. Follow the link that c farmer put up its very informative.

Plan on 18 inches per lb.Can you post a pic of the casings. Not sure what 200-227 hog casings are

Ok c farmer I soaked them overnight and they still don't look right.

they look like a bunch of rubber bands sitting in water. I tried to put

one on a tube but I cant even get it open to start it. Even if I could

there is no way this will slide on any of my sausage tubes. Maybe

the one I use for snack sticks but I doubt it. Can anyone give me

advice before I give up and make patties? thanks in advance Joe

Did you flush them? Did you change water? If you follow the link above then your casings should be good, unless you have bad casings for some reason.

Thanks tropics I did look at that link yesterday but mine don't look anything like those.

the ones I got came in a kit with the seasoning.

I have never seen casings packed with seasoning,did you but them online?If yes post a link.You can try a trickle of water coming out the faucet,that will expand them as you go.

Richie

Hey SPP. Not trying to discourage you but i am currently working( making a new thread) with that brand (PS) of casing but they are sheep casings and let me tell ya its not going well. I have had them soaking for 7+ days and they are not looking good. bare in mind i'm using sheep packed in salt. Those particular casings are going to need some close attention and try to get the salt out of them. IMHO you might have to patty up if you need to stuff right away. all I can say is to give it a whirl and see how it goes. believe me if it doesnt go right its not you its the casings...... 

joe

I'm new to sausage also and had the same issue. I found that flushing them good was the key. I soaked mine for about four days before they became silky like the picture. Mine were also dry packed in salt like yours

Thanks for the info guys . Guess I'm going to break out the patty maker and get this project over with .

I will cruise the web and see if I can find a different type of casing. I may have lost this battle but i'll be back

SPP I would look for a local butcher and see what i can find. Look for casings that come packed in a salt solution............its always good to have something close by in case your in a pinch....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky