High Temp Paints

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ballagh

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Iowa
Has anyone had any luck finding a good high temp paint (colors) that is holding up really well?  I have been browsing around online and sent a few emails out to companies asking about their products and prices. Waiting th hear back from them still.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

If on the outside it should be good to go. Thats just my opinion. Maybe a quick burn to seal it. 
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Last edited:
this will be used on a 300 galllon reverse flow smoker/firebox/warming box/trailer.  i am a little concerned about the paint on the firebox holding up :(

The normal Rustoleum High Temp paint will last for the cooker, but the firebox is another story.  It will last a while on that but not as long.  You might want to go to a auto performance shop and pick up some header paint for the firebox.  Your normal high temp paints range between 1000 - 1200 degrees.  The header paints are between 1400 - 2000 degrees and usually offer more colors.  You will pay more, but its probably worth it knowing you will have a paint job that will last a lot longer. 

I've not been able to find anything that would stay on my firebox, and I've tried a variety of different paints.  The cooker is fine, but the firebox peels and flakes if there is any rain or other moisture in the air.  I've finally decided to insulate and box it in with aluminum and be done with it.  It'll also help keep the ambient temperature down around the outside of the smoker.

exhaust manifold paint from your local auto parts store will not flake off .. kind of pricey, but good to 2000 deg.

I was at Lowes tonight getting materials for a UDS and ran across this paint.  One of them is good til 500 degrees, and the other is good til 2000 degrees.  I will give them a shot :)

a2332dbe_high%20heat%20ultra.jpg
c08a5f94_engine%20enamal.jpg

The quart can should be good for the cooking chamber....right? As far as the fire box I'm still unsure. I heard the veg oil works well, but I would rather have paint if possible!

I am going to try the engine enamal on the chamber, and for the trailer to match what is already there, so I want the semi gloss look, and will use the high heat on the firebox due to temps.  Matt....any idea what the high temp is on your firebox when it is running? 

Raptor...Check www.rustoleum.com they have a few colors choices for each. 

Man I need to get this going.  Think I have a lot of my research done, so I should be very happy with my outcome.  I have almost everything bought, just a matter of finding time to slap it together. :)

i was at auto zone the other day looking at the engine enamel high heat colors and they had a really good selection check them out

I am not sure what the surface temp of the firebox gets to.  I actually used the quart stuff on the tank and firebox.  It still looks new on the forebox but its only been used twice.  But one of the uses was for 15 hours. 

FYI, the quart paint has a nice satin finish.  I thinned it and used an air sprayer and the one quart got me two coats on my rig.  The normal 1200 degree paint is really dull, the Ultra spray can gives you a satin finish.  It looks a lot better.

i just used the rustolium and krylon side by side because the krylon ran out and I will never buy rustolium again!! its garbage compared to the krylon, it is a way flatter black and goes on way very slowly, it takes twice the amount of paint with the rustolium! and doesnt have a good sheen i guess you would call it? and the krylon dries in half the time!! screw you rustolium!! Garbage!!!

8d48740a_spray%20paint%20001.jpg

Last edited:
The high temp BBQ and Stove paint has a higher service temp than engine paint. That is unless its an exhaust coating and all I've ever seen of that is usually either silver, gray or black.

I used the quart of Rustoleum on my firebox and cooking chamber.  It works great for the cooking chamber with no problems at all.  I've been happy with the results there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky