Hi! New to SMF & Hot/Cold Smoking!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ckim44

Original poster
May 18, 2013
Red Deer, AB, Canada
Hi SMF!

I decided to join this forum to learn more about hot & cold smoking!

Tried some awesome cold smoked salmon and have been hooked since hahaha

Now that I actually have some money to spend I wanna actually try and do it myself.

I will probably get the a-maze-n pellet smoker but does anyone know where I can buy 100% wood pellets for smoking in Alberta, Canada?

BBQrs Delight and Cookshack/FE I heard are good brands but I can't seem to find any that will ship to Canada at a decent price.

Saw some Ontario stores that sell these for $5.00/lb + shipping but was wondering if someone knew where I can get it cheaper if I buy bulk.

Thanks!

Chris

Welcome to the forums, Chris!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastime...grilling and smoking great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty!

Are you looking for cooking pellets for fuel in a pellet smoker, or simply to use as flavor wood in a smoke generator, like the amazen pellet smoker (AMNPS)?  Todd (TJohnson) at Amazen products carries 100% wood pellets to burn in his gadgets, and can probably help you find some bulk quantities also if you need to use pellets for fuel.  I have much the same challenge finding affordable cooking pellets to burn in my Rec Tec pellet smoker.  If you can't find local dealers where you can buy them, the shipping for online orders can get very steep.  You might try googling a few of the more common cooking pellet manufacturers (Lumberjack, Bear mountain, BBQr's Delight, to name 3) to shop online for pellet and shipping costs. 

Good luck, and have fun!

Red

Thanks for the suggestions!

I originally wanted to buy the AMNPS & dust/pellets from Todd but the shipping to Canada starts at ~$50 so this led me to look for another dealer that might sell the dust separately (was able to buy the AMNPS from a Canadian dealer but their pellets were too expensive and they only sold in 1lb bags)

I haven't bought a bbq grill yet but have been thinking of the BGE. I love that it can provide consistent temperatures for a newbie like myself but really dont like the weight (basically I cannot bring it with me when I car camp).

I was told that the AMNPS can cold smoke in a cardboard box (hahahaha) and thought that I'd see if I can cold smoke salmon in a big container first, then step up to a proper bbq when I want to begin hot smoking.

Last edited:
:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky