Hi my name is Brooklyn, I wnna build a pizza oven.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brooklynbabe

Original poster
I wanna build like a smoker/pizza oven for my yard. I got like a alot of fallen birch wood in the woods around my house, can I use this to smoke?? I could really use some new recipes for rubs or marinades, if anyone has any suggestions. I live in Groton, MA right down the road is a steakhouse called Gibbet. It's a awesome place the landscape is beautiful the steer are on the property. Google it if you go a sec. but I wanna build my own grill, smoker and pizza oven in my yard and Im looking forward to it!! Thank you for having me on your forum. Have a wicked pissha of a day!!

Last edited:
Lets Get started on an oven. Pumice or perlite and portland mix. Got my fire brick from ace hardware. To be cost effective you really can build two. Other than the fire brick.

Well I guess I'm the first one to say welcome.

There is a build section on here with pics and about anything you might want to try to build.

I'm in the process of building my own smoker.

Just get out there on the forum and ask away, darn near guaranteed someone has got an answer for you.

Keep on smokin'                                      Ed

Guess it comes from not paying enough attention.

Let me be the second to welcome you.

Keep on smokin'                             Ed 

Welcome to the forum Brooklyn!  I too want a wood fired pizza oven in my back yard, cooking pizzas at 700 degrees in just a few minutes sounds awesome.  How can that oven be incorporated into a smoker low and slow between 225 and 250 for extended cook times.  I'm interested.

Mike

Welcome to the SMF Family...I have a Niece named Brooklyn. On Birch Wood here is what the boys have to say... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129711/smoking-with-birch-wood and http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/231598/birch-wood

Anything you can think of try the Search Function, it is probably there...

Building stuff is not my thing but Recipes I Got!...JJ

Char Siu... Chinese Roast Pork

1/2C Soy Sauce , low sodium(Kikkoman Green cap)

1/2C Brown Sugar

1/2C Shaoxing Wine* or Mirin

1/2C Hoisin sauce, Koon Chun* is best.

1/2tsp 5 Spice Powder or more to taste

1T Grated fresh Ginger

1tsp Minced fresh Garlic

1tsp Sesame Oil

1T Red Food Coloring (optional)

Makes about 2 Cups, enough for 8Lbs of either Pork Butt and Loin or 2 full racks of Ribs.

Items with an " * " are available at a Chinese Market. The rest and an el cheapo Hoisin is available at your local Mega Mart.

Marinate the pork for at least 24 Hours and 48 is better. Make sure to turn the meat in the marinade frequently to get the best result..

The Chinese Roast Hot and Fast...350*F for 3 inch thick slices or Pork Butt. Approximately 2 Hours or to 160*F and rest and 140*F for Loin (Too lean to go higher)

For Low and Slow...Smoke at 225*F to 250*F to an internal temp of 150*F for Butt to be Sliced, and 130*F for Loin. Then finish, both types of pork, the last 10*F on a hot Grill then rest.

In American Chinese Restaurants this is made in gas ovens but in China they cook over WOOD so mild smoke would be authentic here.

You can BOIL the Marinade with the De-Fatted meat dripping for a great sauce, thicken with a little cornstarch and water.

This recipe is great on RIBS Too!

Spiedie Marinade/Sauce

1/2Cup Olive Oil

2Cup Red Wine Vinegar

1/2Cup Worcestershire

2T Minced Garlic

1/2tsp Dry Basil

1tsp Dry Oregano

2tsp Dry Parsley

1/2tsp Gran. Garlic

1tsp Gran Onion

1/2tsp Red Pepper Flake

1T Salt

1T Sugar

2tsp Black Pepper

1Cup Red Wine

Combine all, Mix well and Divide in half to use for Marinade and Sandwich Sauce.

Makes about 3Cups total.

Cut 4-5Lbs Meat, any, in 1 inch cubes. Add 1/2 the Marinade/Sauce and Marinate for at least 24 hours or up to 3 days.

Place on Skewers and Grill to desired doneness.

Serve on Italian Bread with additional Sauce.

Carolina Q Dust  

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder 

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1T Mustard Powder

1T Grnd. Black Pepper

1T Grnd. White Pepper

1tsp Cayenne Pepper, or more as desired.

1tsp Grd. Cumin

1tsp Dry Thyme, rubbed

Makes about 1 Cup. This has some Heat from the the jar but mellows when Smoked. If too Hot, reduce the Black, White and Cayenne Pepper.

Apply your desired amount of Dust to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator overnight.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Dust and go into your pre-heated Smoker.

Here is a Brine and Rub that is a Favorite with members of my Family. I like Apple and/or Hickory with Chicken or Turkey. We determine doneness by measuring the Internal Temp (IT) in the thickest part of the Breast and Thigh, 165* and 175*F respectively. For a One Step Smoke with Crispy Skin the birds have to be smoked at a temp of 300-325°F. You can figure about 15 minutes per pound to reach the desired IT. Electric smokers usually only go to 275°F. With these you will be smoking at the most common temp range of 225-275°F. You can figure on about 25 minutes per pound cook time + or - 5 minutes depending what part of the range you choose. Usually the skin will not crisp so if the skin is not Crisp enough when the IT is 145*F in the Breast, put the Bird in a 425*F Oven to finish cooking to 165* and Crisp the Skin...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

Bubba Chix Rub

1/2C Raw Sugar

2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)

1T Cayenne

1T Gran. Garlic

1T Gran. Onion

1tsp Black Pepper

1tsp Wht Pepper

1tsp Allspice

1tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning or Thyme

Mix well. You can put directly on the skin or mix with Butter, Oil or Bacon Grease and rub on and under the Skin.

Reduce Cayenne to 1 teaspoon if less heat is desired. Add 1T Kosher Salt if the bird is not Brined.

Mild but Wild Chix Rub

1/4C Raw Sugar

2T Paprika (I use Smoked if I'm just Grilling)

1T Gran. Garlic

1T Gran. Onion

2tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning or other

1tsp Ground Coriander Seed (2-3tsp Whole seed, fresh ground)

1tsp Black Pepper

1tsp Mustard Powder

1tsp Allspice

1/2tsp Cumin

Optional: 1T Kosher Salt * Leave out if you Brined the Bird!

Mix well. You can put directly on the skin or mix with Butter, Oil or Bacon Grease and rub on and under the Skin.

Apple Pork Brine

2-12oz.Cans Apple Juice Concentrate

1C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4C Molasses

1/4C Mustard

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Pickling Spice (optional)

1T Sage, rubbed

1Gal Water

Combine all and Brine the meat at least over night, 24-48 hours would be better.

Mild Bubba Q Rub  (All Purpose)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder* (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

For more heat add Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there. Makes about 1 Cup

Apply your desired amount of Rub to the meat, wrap in plastic and rest in the refrigerator over night.or longer. The day of the smoke, pull the meat out, add more Rub and go into your pre-heated Smoker...

Note*...Some Chili Powders can be pretty Hot. McCormick and Spice Island are Mild...

Cajun Rib Tickler

1C Tubinado or Dried Brown Sugar*

1/4C Paprika**

2T Kosher Salt

2T Garlic Powder

2T Onion Powder

2T Mustard Powder

2T Chili Powder

2tsp Black Pepper

1-2tsp Cayenne

2tsp Dry Oregano

2tsp Dry Thyme

2tsp Cry Celery Flakes

1tsp Celery Seed

Grind the Oregano, Thyme, Celery Flake and Seed. Mix all and store in air tight container, up to 3 months...

Notes...* Leave out the Sugar for a Cajun Blackening Spice.  Spinkle a lot or a little, on whatever meat, dip in melted Butter or Olive oil and saute in a very hot pan until cooked to your desired IT.

** If you wish you can use Smoked Paprika in the recipe. This will give a seasoning that will add some "Smokey flavor" to Grilled, Sauteed, Fried or Roasted meat, not just stuff you smoke.

Mix and store in an air tight container...JJ

Chipot-i-le Desert Dust

2T Chipotle Powder

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1T Cocoa Powder

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1tsp Thyme

1tsp Oregano

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Makes about 1Cup.

Run for the Border Rub

One for the Chili Heads!

2T Kosher Salt

2T Ancho Chile Powder

1T Chipotle Powder

1T Oregano, Mexican is preferred 

1T Gran Garlic

1T Gran Onion

1T Black Pepper

1T Cayenne

1-2tsp Gnd Cumin

1tsp Cocoa Powder

1/2tsp Cinnamon

Optional:

2T Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)

Makes 3/4 to 1Cup Rub.

This stuff is HOT and full flavored with touch of Smokiness. Feel free to adjust the heat to your taste by playing with the amount of Chipotle and Cayenne Powder. All the ingredients are available at the Grocery Store. This stuff will also Kick Butt as the seasoning in a batch of Chili, leave out the Sugar...JJ

This is a popular recipe I have done with Pork, Brisket or just Hamburger. Depending on what I have on hand I will mix the meats...

Coffee Q Rub

2T Fine Ground Coffee

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1T Black Pepper, more if you like

1tsp Ground Coriander

1tsp Ground Dill Seed

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

Bubba Beef Rub

Good on anything Beef. Burgers and Steaks too!

2T Turbinado Sugar

2T Kosher Salt

2T Black Peppercorns

1T Coriander Seed

1T Dill Seed

1T Dry Minced Onion

1T Dry Minced Garlic

1T Dry Lemon Peel (optional)

1tsp Allspice Berries

1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves

3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1-2ea Dry Whole Chipotle Chiles, stems and seeds removed or 1tsp Chipotle Powder.

Add Cayenne if more heat is desired.

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. Mix with the Salt and Sugar. Store in an air tight container. Makes about a Half cup...JJ

And to Wash it all down...

This ain't Smoked but sure does go Great with Q!...

Smokin' Great SANGRIA!

In a Pitcher large enough to hold a Gallon plus Fruit, combine...

1C Brandy or more...cheapo E&J, Christian Bros.

1C Triple Sec...orange liqueur.

2C Apple Juice or Cider

2C Orange Juice...Fresh or Simply Orange

1-2 Sliced Oranges...Lemons and Limes, Optional.

1-2 Diced Apples

2 1/2Qt Red Wine...Riunite Lambrusco is my fav.

*NOTE*  You will use most of the 3 Liter Bottle. Or if you have room, dump it all!

Additionally, if you choose a really Dry Red Wine, you may need to add a bit of Sugar. The Lambrusco is on the sweet side so no additional sugar is needed. 

Mix well and CHILL WELL...I stick it in the Freezer for an hour or more.

"CAUTION"  This goes down smooth and will kick your BUTT!

DRINK RESPONSIBLY....Please!?!

Have Fun!...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky