Help with peppers

Discussion in 'Peppers' started by gobbledot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. gobbledot

gobbledot Meat Mopper

I have quit a bit of hab and someother peppers and i was wondering what is the best way to put them up for later use? Is there a way someone sugests about canning? I know I can dry them in my dehydrator and use as seasoning but I would like to put some up so I could have some ABT's this winter. Has anyone ever vacumn sealed them and froze any for later use? Thanks for any help...

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

instead of canning...........try pickling..........or dehydrating...........or put em on a cookie sheet, freeze, then put in baggies for later use

3. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WD has good advise. I often fire roast chiles then freeze them for later use. You can choose to remove the chard skin before or after the freeze. I do love the pickled ones too!

4. gobbledot

gobbledot Meat Mopper

What is the process for fire roasting them? Why do ya take the skin off, is it bitter? Thanks.. I ment pickle instead of canning, I have been canning beans so canning was on my mind.. lol Again thanks..

5. I have also smoked a variety of hot chilies. After smoking I dehydrate them and then grind them in a old coffee grinder. I then put some in a jar with a shaker top and sprinkle on anything you want to add a smoky spicy flavor to.