Help needed with Times/Temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ndkoze

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I have made snack stix and jerky for many years, but have always gone by site and guessing. So I am looking for a more definitive answer to smoking times and Internal Temps.

Snack Stix

1. What smoker temperature do you smoke your snack stix at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

2. What Internal temperature should I be looking for for snack sticks? I have seen ranges from 150-165. In the past I have just gone by feel and guess.

Jerky

What smoker temperature do you smoke your jerky at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

Summer Sausage

1. What smoker temperature do you smoke your Summer Sausage at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

2. What Internal temperature should I be looking for for Summer Sausage? I have seen ranges from 150-165. In the past I have just gone by feel and guess.

Country Style / Fry Sausage / Ring Sausage (everyone calls this different things)

1. What smoker temperature do you smoke your Country Style Sausage at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

2. What Internal temperature should I be looking for for Country Style Sausage? This type of sausage Internal Temp would not be eating temp. But the IT that you apply before you package and freeze.

I currently have a small town meat market that smokes our SS and Country Style Sausage primarily because of the large quantity that we usually smoke (SS typically 50-150lbs / CS 100-200lbs). But the guy that does it is getting older and not sure how much longer he will be doing this for us.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

NDKoze........morn'n..

I will give a quick rundown of what I do........there are those on this forum that have forgot more than I know about sausage making but this seems to work......

I start my smoker at about 110 to 120.........no smoke..........for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then I start bumping the temp about 10 degrees (with smoke) every 1/2 hour or so up to 160 to170 max. I have the smoke run for about 3 to 4 hours depending on taste. Then I watch and wait until the internal temp in the sausage hits 152*. Then I pull it........cool it.......and hang to bloom for a couple of hours.

Hope this helps you......

Brad

Snack Stix
1. What smoker temperature do you smoke your snack stix at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

We use a stepped process. Start at 110°-130° for an hour with no smoke. Then add smoke at around 130° and gradually increase the smoker every hour by about 10° until around 170° (190° at the very most). This is where we stop – we don’t “cook” our meat at any higher temps than these. They take forever but this seems to be the best outcome for us.

2. What Internal temperature should I be looking for for snack sticks? I have seen ranges from 150-165. In the past I have just gone by feel and guess.

We tend to go to an internal temp of 155° (right in there).

Jerky
What smoker temperature do you smoke your jerky at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

We smoke the same as sticks – stepped process described above.

Summer Sausage
1. What smoker temperature do you smoke your Summer Sausage at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

We smoke the same as sticks – stepped process described above.

2. What Internal temperature should I be looking for for Summer Sausage? I have seen ranges from 150-165. In the past I have just gone by feel and guess.

We tend to go to an internal temp of 155° (right in there)

Country Style / Fry Sausage / Ring Sausage (everyone calls this different things)

1. What smoker temperature do you smoke your Country Style Sausage at? Do you stick with one temp or use a stepped process?

We use a stepped process. Start at 110°-130° for an hour with no smoke. Then add smoke at around 130°. We will smoke at 130° until we have the color we like.

2. What Internal temperature should I be looking for for Country Style Sausage? This type of sausage Internal Temp would not be eating temp. But the IT that you apply before you package and freeze.

We tend to do this different than most directions. We actually don’t cook our smoked sausage at this step. We will just add smoke, once out of smoker - let them cool down or place in fridge overnight. Then package for the freezer. We leave the cooking to when we will actually be eating the sausage. This way nothing tends to dry out or be overcooked.

I did about 25* of snack sticks at 225* until 165* internal. They were too wet for me. Tossed into dehydrator, and ended with perfect snack sticks with a great snap to them!

I do like MossyMo. Virtually the same process for all the different types of sausage. I don't go over 175 smoker temp and just wait until the sausage gets to 152-155 IT. By doing it slow I don't end up with case hardening under the casing or dry over done or rubbery under done sausage. I like using apple or cherry for mild smoke so I have no problems with smoking the whole time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky