Help! Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Need advice!

Pulled my loins out of my brine (pop's brine, with the addition of 2 tbs pickling spices).

Curing for 16 days in fridge seat at 38 degrees F.

Not my first Canadian Bacon, have used Pop's brine before and tender quick dry rub.

Brine  not ropey, no bad odors, just a nice ham like smell.

Rinsed and placed in cool water to soak.

I noticed a black spot on one loin, irregular in shape, about the size of a nickel.

Looked at it and looks like some of the pickling spice had found a small depression in the meat and stuck, and some of the dark color was absorbed into the meat.

Is this possible, or should I chuck one or both of the loins?

WIll attempt to post pic after soaking.

Appreciate any help!!!!!

If it smells fine and isn't fuzzy, it's probably fine. Not sure that the pickling spice would have done that. And not sure what would've caused it. Can you upload some photos so we have a better understanding what you have going on and can provide a better answer.

If it smells fine and isn't fuzzy, it's probably fine. Not sure that the pickling spice would have done that. And not sure what would've caused it. Can you upload some photos so we have a better understanding what you have going on and can provide a better answer.

It wouldn't bother me. I don't think I look that close. Lol

I would guess its from the spice.

But its really your call.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with it. I'll cut that spot out, to see how deep it goes. If it is only on the surface, no problem, but if very deep I might chuck it. Appreciate the help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky