Help....Brining pork chops??????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't do mail order.....you would have to come by the farm.
icon_smile.gif

We raise both Angus and Hereford. Between that and the pigs my freezer stays full. The year before last we didn't get any cows and I went almost a whole year on store-bought beef
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
oh the horror!

Thanks for all the replys everyone, I am going to try Vlaps recipe. I will let you all know how it turns out.

I don't brine my pork chops before they hit the smoker.

I season them with a rub not unlike MAVADAKI's rub posted a few threads back, Hang the pork chops in the smoker with applewood (or your choice of wood) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours at 150 to 180 deg, until they look done, spray with apple juice every now and then.

Well the chops were a hit. Sorry no Q-view, I had seven hungry people to feed. A few of the comments I got were "wow this is delicious" "these are the best chops I have ever had" "how did you do this, I never tasted pork so flavorfull and juicy". I was a little nervous trying a recipe for the first time to feed a bunch of guests without a trial run before hand. But you can feel confident in the information you receive from the SMF family.

Vlap's recipe is great, although I did alter it a bit to accomadate what ingredients I had at home, I didn't have time to run to the store. Next time I will make it to the T and I'm sure it will be fantastic. Below is the original recipe with what I changed, and added are in green.

Cider Brine:
2 cups apple cider 3 cups welches apple juice
1 3/4 cups water
1/4 cup coarse kosher salt 1-3/8 cup of course kosher salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried sage I did not have sage
1 cinnamon stick
To prepare the brine: In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add apple cider and water; bring to a boil. Add kosher salt, brown sugar, pepper, sage and cinnamon, stirring to dissolve. Remove from heat and let cool (chill brine completely in the refrigerator before adding pork). NOTE: To determine how much brine you'll need, place the meat to be brined in your chosen container. Add water to cover. Remove the meat and measure the water. Brine 12-24 hours

I added an extra cup of apple juice because I needed more liquid to cover the 13 one inch chops I was making. Then just to be safe I added the extra 1/8 cup of salt.

A BIG, BIG Thanks to vlap for the recipe and to everyone else for the quick responses.

I have some 1 3/4 inch chops brining right now. I am taking them out of the brine shortly. Is there any particular way I should store them in the fridge over night?

Salt water
Apple cider vinegar
Cracked black pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder

@Cowgirl
Hey I am in Grove right next to the lake. Looks like we're neighbors, lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky