Hello from Western NY

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

havensal

Original poster
Jul 6, 2016
Western NY
New user from Upstate NY.  I have a Dyna-glo offset smoker coming tomorrow.  This will be my first.  I also ordered a Chimney Starter, some Grill Briquettes for extra mass in the fire box, an Instant Read Thermometer, and a Wireless Thermometer.  I have some fire brick to add mass to the smoking area and I have to stop and buy some high temp RTV to seal the unit up as I assemble it.  Everything I've read says this is a good starter setup, if you mod it a little.

I am hoping to get it assembled and seasoned before Saturday so I can try my hand at a full meal.  I want to dive in head first with some ribs, a pork loin, a turkey leg or breast, buffalo wings, baked potatoes, and some corn.  Worst case is I fail miserably and we order pizza and wings.  lol

I tend to be obsessive when I get into a hobby.  I have been reading a ton and still have a bunch more to read.  I work in the IT field and am investigating using one of my Raspberry PI computers to build a temp regulating device.  That will be a long term project. 

welcome1.gif

Glad to have you aboard!

Al

Hello and 
welcome1.gif
 to you.

That's a mighty ambitious smoke you're

planning.

Good luck and remember pictures of your

smokes are good things.

Have fun.

Ed

Well, my first smoke didn't go too bad.  My biggest issue was the temp difference between the top and bottom racks, over 50*.  I think next time I will cover the bottom rack completely with foil.  I also need to use wood chunks, the chips burned too fast and didn't produce smoke long enough.  The ribs were OK, but not fall off the bone.  The pork loin turned out well, but i need a rub with less salt.  The turkey was the best, moist and tender, but took an hour longer than expected.  The corn and potatoes were on the top and they were not quite done, and smoked corn is not my thing.  I'll boil the corn next time. 

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome from Sennett, NY.  What part of WNY do you hail from?

I wouldn't worry too much about the temp difference.  You kitchen ove in likely close to that is temp variation....

Have a great evening.

Lance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky