Hello from the Wicked North, Sabattus Maine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

douglass

Original poster
May 13, 2015
I have been learning to smoke over the last couple of years on a chargriller which is the gas, charcoal and a side box. I have been doing okay but often my wife complains my food is too smokey. I don't understand since I smoke it according to the books I read, others love it and others don't.

Welcome from Old Town
icon_smile.gif

What kind of wood and how much are you using? I recommend maple if you can get it, it is a milder smoke than most.

Welcome to SMF! :welcome:
We're glad to have you. The search bar at the top is your most valuable resource here. This forum has been around for over ten years, so there is a good chance that any questions you may have, have already been answered (they may have 10 different answers, but you'll get an instant response non the less).
Please be sure to post your smokes along with your process and recipes. We will be glad to help you along the way and we may also learn something new ourselves in the process. Also, don't forget the very important Q view! (We're mad for pics on here [emoji]128513[/emoji])
Always remember to have fun because it's not fun if you have to work at it.
Thanks for joining,
- Ryan

Look for "wood for smoking" in the search bar above. Everyone has their favorites and some are stronger than others. Personally I like a mix of hickory and apple-smokey flavor, but not overpowering. Also you may not need to add smoke wood for the whole cook.

Reactions: douglass
Thank you both for respondin . I will take a look, and adding wood chips throughout the smoke may be my issu .

I'm using various types, cedar, pecan, cherry, maple, tequila, mesquite, etc.

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another cool and rainy day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Reactions: douglass
What do you guys think about electric smokers? My friend is going to sell me one for about $100.00 because he hasn't used it and doesn't want it.

Went to buy it and pulled it out of the box, no door. So disappointed.

Went to buy it and pulled it out of the box, no door. So disappointed.
Douglass, don't discount charcoal smokers right away. If you have $100, you can easily buy everything you need to build you own mini WSM. After a few weekends with it, you'll have operating it down pat. Electrics are easy, but charcoal is fun!
-Ryan

Douglass, don't discount charcoal smokers right away. If you have $100, you can easily buy everything you need to build you own mini WSM. After a few weekends with it, you'll have operating it down pat. Electrics are easy, but charcoal is fun!
-Ryan
Are there instructions in here somewhere to do that?

-Ryan
Or you can go to WalMart and buy a 22.5" Weber One Touch Silver for $100 and grill and/or BBQ right out of the box.
icon_smile.gif

Are there instructions in here somewhere to do that?

Sure are. Just look in the mini WSM build section on this forum. I closely copied BDSkelly's build and found it very easy and fun to do.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155130/building-a-mini-weber-smokey-mountain-in-texas-mini-wsm

Or you can go to WalMart and buy a 22.5" Weber One Touch Silver for $100 and grill and/or BBQ right out of the box.:icon_smile:
This is also true, but you won't have the satisfaction from crafting and building it yourself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky