Hello from NJ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mavericksupersonic

Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hi all,

I'm Marc from northern NJ. I've been reading this site for a while but just made my first contribution post. I'm pretty much a beginner smoker but have been learning pretty fast.

I purchased my ECB smoker about 6 years ago and it basically just sat around for about 4 years. When I moved into my own place, I took it out for the first time (probably about a year or two ago) and tried it out. The biggest mod has been to replace the firebox with a weber kettle. Works out much better and I can keep the temp at around 250 for around 5 hours before it needs some more fuel. I'm still trying to play around with it a little bit more and see if it can be improved further. I actually picked up an 18 inch weber charcoal grill so I'm going to see if I can throw that under the smoker for even better performance.

I've been debating about upgrading the smoker but I can't decide on what type I'd like to move onto. It also doesn't help that I'm in a townhouse complex so I don't have much space.

In my limited smoking, I've done baby back ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and beef ribs (although unfortunately, there wasn't much meat on them).

I look forward to enjoying this forum and contributing.

Hey Marc...welcome to SMF! Look into a charcoal basket before ya get another grill for a firebox... Expanded metal ...great airflow. Hmmm maybe TOO much for the ECB...

Walkingdude?

There's a few mod threads for that puppy here.... search thru the charcoal smoker forum...

Enjoy!

A neighbor was going to get rid of his so I got the other grill for free. I figured I would give it a shot as it has better venting than the mini kettle. I think it would basically replicate the bottom of the weber smokey mountain if it works. I picked up an expanded sheet also but haven't quite decided how I want to use it.

Marc, welcome to the SMF. Many a great Q has come out of an ECB.

Welcome Marc!
Glad to have you on board. By the way, if you haven't availed yourself to Jeff's five day eSmoking course, you might want to consider doing so. It's chucked full of lots of fundamentals and a good refresher course as well. So, again, welcome and let us hear from you often.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky