Hello from Las Vegas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Peoria, AZ
Hello all,

My name is Al and I live in North Las Vegas, NV. I have been smoking for a few months now on a Brinkmann Gourmet Charcoal unit. I made the mods but have had a heck of a time keeping the temps down, probably due to the 105-115 degree temperatures outside. The only fix that worked was to use a very small amount of charcoal. I am curious to see what happens this winter when the outside temps are 60-70 degrees cooler.

I recently picked up (on sale) the Brinkmann Gourmet Electric smoker (is this cheating?). I don't smoke on it as I like the charcoal flavor...but I do move the meat onto it once it hits 140 degrees at the end of the smoking period to finish it. It is much less stressful as the unit stays at about 235 degrees.

So far I have tried ribs (came out ok but not great, too much heat), a few chickens, saugage (awesome), a pork shoulder (awesome), and most recently a turkey breast (practice for Thanksgiving) that came out nice and juicy.

I started out with the typical big box store hickory and mesquite but recently found a firewood place in town that has all kinds of wood. Currently my "inventory" includes apple, peach, maple, pecan, and walnut. Sadly they did not have alder so I haven't tried any fish yet, and would love to try a pizza soon.

I have lots of questions on a variety of subjects that I will post in the (hopefully) appropriate forums soon but so far I am having a lot of fun and eating some great food. The only trouble is that my gas grill is now collecting dust!!

Happy smoking!
Al

Welcome Al.
Always great to have a new member. Sounds like you have a good idea of smoking and it can only get better from here.

Congrats on finding a great source of information or supplies. There is an exchange program under announcements where some people exchange goods with another person. I can get alder wood from www.outdoorkitchen.com. I get it from the local branch here in Denver and actually found it once on clearance at walmart. Hopefully that will help you out, if not...somebody will be along soon that can.

Welcome to SMF from Nor Cal. About a hour from Reno.

Hey Chef Al
You have a dessert brother Chef Rob is in Az
Welcome to the forum - we look forward to sharing with you and you with us

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

Greetings and Welcome to the 'community'.

Enjoy your stay at
SMF
Settle in and have fun.
Any questions, plenty of experts... and make yourself at home.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

DOWNLOAD HERE

I created a 32x32 Desktop icon for SMF members if they want it. Just download it, UNzip it to anywhere (but remember where)... then if you have a current icon you are using just right-click/ 'properties'/change icon/ and go look for where you unzipped it and click it. Then name the icon what ever you want... obviously I named mine Smoking Meat Forums

If you don't have a desktop icon you can easily create one using this icon if you want.
It is transparent so your background should just show threw!!
a56e21b2_vbattach22699.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky