Hello from Las Vegas!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

holly daugherty

Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
Hi! My name is Holly and I got the family a smoker for Christmas, when I looked around for information on how to start this new hobby, it seemed like your forum had the most answers.

I have a masterbuilt 30-inch electric smoker with window. I turned it on for the first time today and have made chicken wings, a rack of ribs and I just put on a brisket.

It's only a 3lb brisket, so I should be able to get it done tonight. I am going to add chips every hour the first 3 hours and watch the temperature then I will wrap in in foil for an hour or so and then back on the rack. I used a dry rub on it, 24 hours ago. I let it come to room temp before I put it in. I have apple juice to mop on it and I have the meat thermometer in it. So, here we go!

Welcome Holly, glad ya joined us... Sounds like your already smokin up a storm ! Thumbs Up Couple things, here's a link to the MES owners group, ya may find some helpful info over there...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/groups/show/8/masterbuilt-electric-smoker-mes-owners

Also, if you decide this hobby/addiction is for you... Ya may look at getting one of these, it gives hours of TBS with no filling the chip tray... It's a great product !

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

Welcome to SMF, Holly!

Sounds like you did your homework!

Let us know how the brisket turns out.

Al

welcome1.gif
.......     Sounds like you are good to go......  

Dave

Thanks for the links! I have looked at the pellets and wondered if I could use them in the MES. Sorry for the slow reply. I appreciate any suggestions, lol. My wings turned out great, my ribs tasted good but I wanted them to be more fall off the bone. The 3 lb brisket...no good. I need more practice.

Al,

I think I got carried away. The wings were really good, the ribs looked fantastic, and I thought, "what the heck! Let's do a brisket." Sadly, the brisket tastes good but is tough and dry. I cubed it up and put sauce on it for sandwiches. I think it was trimmed out for the oven and way too small. I did try the foil thing, it came up to 160 pretty quick. I cooked it total 5 hours. I took it out when it hit 175. I have a big pork shoulder to try. Maybe my results there will be better. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks Dave! Sorry for the slow reply, had house guests in town for the weekend. I seem to get more of those now that we have moved to Vegas, lol. I am trying to read up on the site and figure out how to do side dishes and vegetables, so there is something to eat other than meat. I am really glad I found this site. Any suggestions are always appreciated.

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a cloudy and cool day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Al,

I think I got carried away. The wings were really good, the ribs looked fantastic, and I thought, "what the heck! Let's do a brisket." Sadly, the brisket tastes good but is tough and dry. I cubed it up and put sauce on it for sandwiches. I think it was trimmed out for the oven and way too small. I did try the foil thing, it came up to 160 pretty quick. I cooked it total 5 hours. I took it out when it hit 175. I have a big pork shoulder to try. Maybe my results there will be better. Thanks for the encouragement.
Welcome to the group Holly!  Nice to see you're jumping in with both feet!  I've struggled with small briskets too, but tough and dry would seem like it's under cooked.  If it was crumbly and dry, it would be over cooked.  Best of luck with that shoulder.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky