Hello from Illinois

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beezer

Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Hello
I actually arrived here for 2 reasons:
1) From my love of good BBQ sauce. The problem was the pork I was making wasn't nearly as good as it should be.

2) I need to eat fish for my heart but I can't stand it unless its smoked.

So getting a smoker was a natural solution. I bought a GOSM wide.

I listened to the course. Also I have read a lot on the forums but thats all theory. I'm hoping that it will stop raining and I can get some pork smoking.

One question:
Should you keep the smoke going the whole time its in there? My wood chips say they will only last about 20 minutes. Should I just keep changing it out?

If so, should I have about a coffe can full of soaked wood chips for 6 hour smoke?

Thanks for putting this excellent resource together for people interested in smoking.

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place to learn and everyone is always ready and willing to offer advise.
I have found that one handfull of non soaked chips lasts alot longer than 20 min. Just because the chips turned black doesn't mean there is no more smoke. In fact, that is exaclty what you want. Thin blue smoke is what you are looking for. And if you cannot see it, go and take a sniff, if you can smell the smoke... All is good.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to SMF you'll find lots of good info and recipes here. As far as the smoke it should last alot longer then 20 minutes mine is good for a couple hours at which time I just change out the chip box with another one I bought and smoke on

Welcome Beezer. I have the smoke going all the time but in a thin moderation. Some meats I like a little more smoke than others. You will find the place that makes you happiest.

First welcome Beezer to SMF.... I have the same unit you have and I use a 8 X 8 alum cake pan instead of the smoke box that came with the unit. I place about 2 or 3 dry chunks (depending on there size) in the pan and cover with foil, poke about 3 holes in top and your off smoking for about 1 1/2 hrs.. If I am doing pork (butt) I dont use water in the pan, I use play sand instead, it seems to hold the temp more constant.. Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps alittle..

Welcome to the SMF!! There are lots of friendy folks here- all with different levels of experience that love helping new folks out--- so if ya have questions ask away! I would keep very light smoke until the meat reached around the temp i like to wrap it.... around 165... some say 145 others say *** time.... remember this if you can smell it the meat is getting it... you want your smoke as thin as you can get it...... keep the exhaust stack all the way open all the time - use the intake to control the temp....Enjoy!

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Meowey I just finished applying rub to two pork butts and plan on using your basic pulled pork instructions first thing in the morning.

I'm really impressed with this place.

Welcome to the SMF. You are on the right track with following the pulled pork sticky! We like q-view, too.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Welcome to the best smokin' site on Mothwer Earth, SMF that is. Your GOSM is a great smoker. Don't be trying to have rolling smoke coming out your smoker, just a thin blue one will do wonders for the flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky