Heat problems new build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattr222

Original poster
May 15, 2016
[ATTACHMENT=2816]Screenshot_20160503-205002.png (3,237k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Started yesterday to season a newly built RF that I made. I need to iron out some kinks I have. First heat 186F digital therm. was max temp firebox damper inlet too small. Opened up a new hole and fire started coming alive. Then I needed more hear into cook chamber opened that up quickly with plasma cutter. Fired it up again 208F max, I'm fairly sure my exhaust is to small. Before i start grinding por15 heat paint off cutting and welding a new exhaust ( thinking 5" X 30") I figured let's ask more experienced people. I know of the calculator, just not sure about reading it

It looks like the fire box is too small and the chimney is a little small. It's a pretty big smoker. 

Adam.

So inside even with the firebox top plate, there is a 1/4" thick baffle plate that runs all but the last 10 inches. I have just shy the capacity of my camp wood stove the Fisher papa bear, I figured it would be enough. I could be wrong though.

You need a bigger chimney to draw the heat out. Something that size probably needs a 5" ID pipe at least 36" high with bigger fire box vents. It looks awesome though. Nice work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky