Heat Deflector

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mulepackin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2007
Central Montana
Finally finished up the heat deflector for my freezer. It didn't take long to do, just took awhile to find the time to do it. Mostly drilling holes, about 3 hours of just drilling. Just a 16x16 in. sheet of app.16 ga. sheetmetal, drilled with 1/4 in. holes as you see, then curved. Should absorb and deflect heat in multiple directions from it, then reflect off the walls and inside door, hopefully alleviating any hot spots and straight up heat flow. Used 3/8 x 8 in. all thread for legs and it's just freestanding inside in case I have to replace the heating element. Added the fire brick earlier in the season which has helped with heat retention and recovery time. If I open the door for a quick peek, I only get about a 2 degree drop, which recovers in about 5 min.
3a7b3aa9_vbattach23560.jpg

0b78e184_vbattach23559.jpg

Looks like it should work...

Where do you put your chip pan?

I have a separate smoke generator alongside the smoker, as well as a Smoke Daddy style generator which I am trying to fine tune.
e58e3d38_vbattach23564.jpg

fbbe5e99_vbattach23563.jpg

5c9ca6ae_vbattach23562.jpg

f64a0c50_vbattach23561.jpg

Hows the heat deflector working and should I put one in mine that I'm building now, do they do that good of a job?

Thanks, Tim

got to build a heat deflector and check the choke on my scattergun at the same time.just as i thought i had uds going my way i find a 1957 metal lined fridge.leaving my brinkman element screwed 3 in off floor and installing a hot plate in old fridge.all we do is summer sausage.sometimes other stuff on uds and add charcol or wood to raise temps.nice job mulepackin on your deflector.
icon_smile.gif

I haven't done a whole lot in it since I added this. I did do some cheese, I checked temps in a few areas throughout and they seemed to be within a few degrees of each other, but that was only at around 80 degrees. I'm going to do a lot of stuff this weekend and next week; my bacons, some snack stix, and I'm going to try one or two butts, a brisket and two racks of ribs at the same time with higher temps. I think all this will really test it out. For what little is involved in time and material, I think it is a worthwhile addition to a homebuilt of this type. Yeah if you gotta pattern a turkey gun, this would be a great project to do at the same time.

putting a lid cut out of another drum 3 in above heating element with L brackets after i shoot it a couple of times with shotgun . wish me luck

HI MY NAME IS ROGER AND I AM BUILDING A SMOKER OUT OF AN REFRIGERATOR  DID YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE RUBBER DOOR SEAL??? AND HOW DO YOU KEEP THE MEAT DRIPPINGS FROM GETTING ON YOU ELEMENT DID YOU HAVE A DEFLECTOR TO DO THIS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky