ham for thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jason wilson, Nov 8, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about trying to do a ham for thanksgiving i don't know the process or a good recipe can i get some help any ideas?

this will be my first thing I'm going to do in my new smoker i built ideas please?

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Jason, not sure I'm understanding what you are wanting to do. Are you wanting to smoke a ham that has already been cured or are you looking to cure a hog leg and then smoke it?  If it's the first, there are a number of threads on smoke cooking an already cured ham.  If your loking to dry cure one, times a running short unless you are planning on stich-pumping a leg and placing it in a brining cure for 5-7 days and then smoking it.

3. I WANT TO BUY A RAW HAM NOT CURED I WANT TO CURE IT AND SMOKE THE HELL OUT OF IT BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OR HAVE GOOD RECIPE TO USE HOW LONG TEMPS NOTHING LIKE I SAID THIS WILL BE FIRST TIME AND FIRST TIME IN THE SMOKER I JUST BUILT

4. NOT A LEG JUST A NORMAL HAM LIKE YOU WOULD BUY TO THROUGH IN THE OVEN JUST RAW NOT CURED OR ANYTHING

5. ajl80

ajl80 Newbie

i cooked a raw ham last weekend, i used was pinapple and brown sugar, turn out great

6. WHAT TEMP AND HOW LONG TO SMOKE HOW LONG DID U CURE IT

7. With Thanksgiving just 2 weeks away, there isn't time to cure a whole bone-in ham properly....unless you can find a very small one.
    You could, however, cure a boneless ham, of a few cottage hams from the shoulder.

~Martin

8. spoolinaz

spoolinaz Meat Mopper

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012