Half smoked pork picnic help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dtcunni

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
Hello all,
I went to the grocery store this evening and I picked up a Springfield half smoked picnic. I wanted to do a short smoke on a ham for tomorrow because I'll have my baby and can't really sit outside and drink beer and tend the fire. But, should this turn out like ham? It's pink and looks like a small ham (4.25lbs) but I just thought I would experiment. It's 4.25lbs and I couldn't really find any previous threads on this subject. Thanks guys & gals and happy Labor Day to you all!

Yes, it's already cured and smoked, bring it up to 155-160° while applying smoke to give it a double-smoke flavor; the curing gives it the ham flavor.

Thank you very much pops! I pulled it at 145 and it turned out perfect! I saved the bone and I can't wait to use it in some white beans!

Any pics? I'm hooked on smoking "partially cooked" or "ready to cook" hams. I've smoked quite a few and will never put one in the oven again.

Unfortunately no pics guys. I was too busy with a ten month old baby and trying to keep my dad company at the same time also while getting supper ready for the rest of the family. If my wife would have been home then I could have done some pics and had plent of time to post. Pops does know his stuff and I was glad he replied. I just had to pull at 145 to keep my dad in a sane state of mind. At the ripe old age of 59, he likes to eat at 4pm.

Hahahahahahahahahaha....yeah I told him I was planning on between 6 and 7 to eat but he is just like my granddad and likes to eat supper early! He went through my pringles and some 4 day old birthday cake at 4:30! The funny thing is that he goes to work on normal days at 3pm....but whatever, my biggest critic approved and even got seconds and took most of the leftovers home.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky