Gyro on a stick fatty Throwdown entry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fired up

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 12, 2008
Indianapolis,Indiana
Woohoo it is fatty throwdown time so here is mine.
This is my Gyro on a stick fatty. The Idea was to take a relatively simple thing to make like a Gyro and make it waaaaaay more complicated.
Anyway here is how I did it.

First I made some traditional Gyro meat.
Ground lamb
Onion (liquified in a food processor and wrang through a tea towel to get rid of excess moisture)
Ground marjorom
Ground rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Minced fresh garlic

Put all ingredients into a food processor until it is a smooth paste.

I put that mixture into a ziploc bag and flattened. On to the other ingredients.
1 lamb rack
2 onions (thinly sliced and sweated until very soft)
Pita bread

On the package the lamb says that it is Frenched, I disagreed and did it properly.

Here it is out of the package.

And here it is Frenched, fat cap removed, and trimmed. I used kitchen twine to tie around each bone and pull off all of the tissues so that the bones would be very clean.

Next I very carefully started to cut and roll out the meat from the bone. A razor sharp knife is crucial.

Next I pounded it out thin and evenly under some plastic wrap.

All pounded out and ready to stuff.

I put the Gyro meat on the bottom, the lamb rack next, then the pita and grilled onions. Forgot to take a couple pictures during those steps.

Here it is rolled up and sealed.

Wrapped up and ready for the chill.

Time to make the Tzatziki sauce!

Plain yogurt (put in a strainer and drained for 1 hour in the fridge)
1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, finely chopped and wrang through a tea towel)
Salt
Minced fresh garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Fresh mint

Mix all ingredients and chill.

I smoked the fatty with cherry wood at 225 degrees for 2 and a half hours. Here it is out of the smoker.

Side view.

And finally, sliced up on the plate with sauce on the side and a salad.

Close up. You could actually pick it up and eat it off of the bone.

The boy approved mightily.

In conclusion it was fantastic. I probably wont do it again, but I had fun making it and that was what it was all about.

Thanks for checking out my fatty!

Geez oh man, what the flip? That thing is awesome. Excellent job. Love gyros. Man I can taste that. Nice job. Points
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Woah...that is insane. Great orginality, great execution and great presentation . Definite points for that.

Wow. Other than that I don't know what to say.
points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Oh wait I can think of a couple more things to say
Very creative just to think of this. I love the ingredients.
I bow before you and your fattie sir.

That is crazy nice job lots of thought went into that one
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Wow, I am blown away. I love lamb, and I love Greek food, and making your own gyro meat is pretty cool.

I really appreciated your display of knife skills - that is pretty tender meat and easy make a mis-cut mistake. Very nice work on peeling that loin open!

Now, that is creativity at it's best.

You deserve points, thanks for the Qview.
points.gif

Good Googlie-Mooglie, they just keep getting better all the time! Outstanding creation.....what could be better than a fattie? A LAMB fattie, bone-in~man o man. Thank you for the creativity and the time to share it with all of us. You have definitely earned the points, my friend!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Not a fan of lamb but WOW does that look outstanding. Points on original though and creativity I bet it was good.

Not much ta add to all the others' replies....great idea and a heck of a job!
points.gif

Awesome post!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky