Ground venison with bacon as fat?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by lennyluminum, Nov 25, 2013.

1. How much raw bacon should I put into a 5 lb batch of ground venison for a 80/20 mix?

2. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

1lb of bacon for 5lbs of deer will make it 80/20.....SB

3. when I make deer burger I use 10 lb deer , 1 lb bacon , 1 1/2 -2 lb beef suet ............ makes the best deer burger ! 

beef suet has a lot of flavor . People who claim they dont like deer will  eat this  burger grilled and never believe they are eating deer .

4. I use bacon ends, they are  cheaper.

5. mrh

mrh Meat Mopper

I us 3 lbs deer 2 lbs cheap ground beef and 1 lbs bacon   (ends if I can find them).... Very tasty and makes a killer meatloaf!

Mark

6. davemo

davemo Fire Starter

Hold on by fresh bacon do u mean uncured bacon???? Very important as bacon u buy off the shelf at the local grocery store already has cure added. In which case u are using to much cure if u follow the general directions for cure to meat ratio

7. use cured bacon ......... you are making burger here ........ not sausage  ...... you will not be adding additional cure 

8. Store bought cured bacon! If my math is right wouldn't it be 4 lbs meat to 1lb bacon for a 80/20 mix?

9. yes

10. Sorry, I have to say it, but because bacon is not 100% fat, your mix will be slightly leaner than 80/20. Will it matter, probably not, but you are adding a little more meat also when using bacon. Bacon can vary from 10%-90% fat, so the higher amount of fat the bacon has, the closer you will be to your 80/20 mix.

Don't shoot me....... its just the way my mind thinks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  11. 10 lb deer , 1 lb bacon , 1 1/2 -2 lb beef suet ............ makes the best deer burger ! 

12. silentkilla

silentkilla Newbie

I know this is an old post but I'm going to be making some if this in the future. Wanted to know if you guys add any seasonings while grinding & if so what seasonings?

13. I normally dont with this mix .......... its basically for burger ............ However you can add spice if you like ......... a brat spice recipe would probably be good 

14. I have started adding a TBS of Jeff's rub per 2 lbs of burger meat at the time I make up my patties. Gives it that extra kick and everyone loves it!

15. silentkilla

silentkilla Newbie

Thanks!

16. Great idea i never thought of putting the rub on burgers

17. wazzuqer

wazzuqer Smoke Blower

What is beef suet?. We are gonna make venison/bacon burger next weekend might want to add it

18. beef suet is internal fat taken from the abdominal cavity of a cow . it can be hard to find but a real butcher shop will be able to get it or  can tell you where to get it .It has a low melting temp and lots of flavor . Great for burger 

19. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

You won't need any suet if you are adding 1 pound of bacon for 4 pounds of venison. You will get a good bacon burger which holds together well w/ plenty of flavor . CM

20. i've tried it both ways ........... I would leave out the bacon before I would leave out the suet 

thats also 2 1/2 lb of bacon for 10 lbs of deer meat . You can buy suet for $1.00 a pound ......... Most bacon these days is around $4.00 a pound

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014