Greetings from Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pitlackey

Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Growing up, I never experienced smoked meats or BBQ. In my family, BBQ was chicken cooked on a gas grill until it was dried to a crisp - then slathered with artificially flavored supermarket sauce.

My first experience of true BBQ was years ago at a KCBS sanctioned BBQ fest benefiting our local hospital for children. My wife and I tried everything under the sun. I couldn't believe my taste buds; this is BBQ?! Not so coincidently, that was the same day my wife gave up being a vegetarian!

That first experience spoiled us. For years, my wife and I have searched all around for great BBQ and have found very few places that serve what we've come to expect. This lack of great BBQ in our area has led us to making our own.

We just bought our first house and had a little money set aside for additional expenses. One thing my wife wanted for the new house was a smoker. Back when we lived in our condo she would say, "Promise me when we move into a house, we'll buy a smoker." I haven't heard of too many wives saying that so I didn't argue.

We went with a Traeger. Personally I'm more of a DIY UBS kind of guy but the one main requirement had to be ease. My wife didn't feel comfortable with smokers that require lots of attention. And plus, I really wanted her enjoy this as much as me and not feel intimidated to smoke meats when I'm not around. The push button simplicity of the Traeger seemed to fit - plus, the results.

Excited to have found this site - I expect I'll be learning a lot from you all!

Let me be the first to welcome you to SMF. You'll love it here cause there are alot of good people/smokers here that would just love to help you with about anything to do with smokin. First you should look up the 5-day E-course it's free and very informative as you will soon see. Next thing you need to do is season that smoker with a good hot fire and in aome good smoke. Then run don't walk to the store and or meat gettin place grab you a hunk of meat and go smoke it. If you have any question we are always here to answer your question. Then get a bib and digg in I mean jump in with both feet get all covered in that stuff. Sorry I'm getting alittle carried away myself. So enjoy and learn about Qview thats pictures.
Welcome To The Addiction

If I could get your wife to talk to my wife I think she might let me build a shed for my smokers!!! Sounds like a wonderful woman. Greetings and welcome. Where in Colorado are you?

Welcome aboard!

"BBQ" when I was growing up was much the same, murder-burgers and blast furnace Chicken. The kick of it is, my dad was a chef!

He did great in the kitchen, but not in the backyard.

Welcome to the site pitlackey.
Congrats on the new house, and a wife that loves BBQ as much as you do.
Looking forward to some Qviews. Happy smokes!

Welcome to the forum. That Traeger is a nice smoker/grill. There are several on here who have those and can help you with any questions you may have concerning the pellet pooper.
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the SMF...a place you'll spend a lot of time on!
icon_mrgreen.gif
Now worries though, lots of good help, ideas and support. Read Mballi's post above ^^^ he's got it right!

May the TBS follow you wherever you go, and don't forget the Q-View!

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly members.

Be sure to check out Jeff's 5Day Smoking Basics eCourse, you can find it here it's "FREE"... 5 Day e Course

Everyone here like seeing the qview so be sure to post plenty. LOL

Welcome! I guess I have about the same story growing up...in fact we didn't even cook outdoors...at all, until I was about 15 or 16 years old.
icon_redface.gif

It's pretty amazing to find out things you've missed while growing up in the different ethnicities. Family origins/histories vary so widely in this country...such a vast mix of backgrounds. But, we all are unique in many ways, because of the environments we grew up in, and the people who had an influence on our personality.

Anyway, enjoy the forum, and your ability to have the equipment and tech support team to help you turn out some tasty grub! (We're your tech support)

Eric

We're in Denver. My wife's support is a little self serving - the more I smoke, the more great eats we have without her having to deal with it!
biggrin.gif

True, true. A big part of my interest in smoking was sparked from my buddy who grew up in Poland. One day he brought me some trout his mother had smoked. Hands down, it was the best smoked fish I had ever tried. Turns out, in Poland they lived off the Baltic. Smoking thier own fish (especially eel) was a big part of his family and his mother was the expert - I can vouch for that!

Welcome to SMF. Glad that you joined us.

I take it now since your wife is no longer a Vegetarian she no longer has a problem Meat-ing people! LOL Sorry I couldn't help myself.
tongue.gif

Thomas
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky