Greetings from a noob smoker in Edmond, OK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carbine1koos

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Edmond, OK
Hello!

East Texas guy transplanted in Edmond, OK.

The bosslady let me get a Weber 22" Kettle grill this week so I'm going to start my smoking adventures Saturday.

I look forward to gleaning info from this forum & sharing my travails, tribulations and pics!

-Scott

Welcome to SMF Scott!  Have fun with one of the best backyard grilling and smoking machines ever invented.  Enjoy all the reading here on the forum and let us know how that Saturday smoking adventure goes.  What's on the menu?

Have fun!

Ray

Reactions: carbine1koos
icon14.gif

Thanks for the hello Ray!  After much research (mostly on this forum) I settled on the Weber Kettle grill to get my feet wet in the world of smoking.

I'm going to dive right in with spare ribs.

I'm going to use some Stubbs briquettes and wild black cherry wood chunks.

I plan on firing up the grill early afternoon Saturday so be on the lookout for a thread!

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a beautiful sunny day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Welcome to the site Scott.  Congratulations on getting your Kettle.  They are very capable tools.

A charcoal snake will turn it into a rib cooking machine.

This one was used for a butt, but would have worked fine for any low and slow smoke.  I use a remote thermometer and keep tabs on my smoker temps.  With the snake and a careful look-out for temp spikes, 225* to 250* temps are no problem.

Thanks for the tips Jack!

How many charcoals do you use to light the fuse on the snake? Or should I ask how full is the chimney.

Thanks for the tips Jack!

How many charcoals do you use to light the fuse on the snake? Or should I ask how full is the chimney.
To light this type "snake" I use a small size Weber chimney about half full.  That is probably about 6 briquettes.  Here's a link to the chimney.  (I've bought and used plenty of junk chimney's.  I like the Weber's best).

I light with Weber starter's.

Awesome thanks!  I'll shoot for about 6 briquettes to get started.

I know I'll need to adjust the vents accordingly to get the temp fluctuation under control throughout the cook but is there a combination you like to start with for vents (open/closed) with the "snake" coal layout on the Weber Kettle?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky