Great tip - gloves

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
So I watched one of Aaron's vids last summer and saw him use a vinyl glove to apply rub on his brisket. I'm cheap and don't want to waste stuff if it's not 100% necessary so I never bothered with it, but I bought some Ammex vinyl powder free gloves a couple of months back when I saw them on sale. I just used one on a pork butt.

All I can say is wow. My life is changed!!! Haha for reals. It's so easy to apply rub.

I'm right handed so I put a glove on my left hand. You won't believe how evenly the rub applies with a vinyl glove. The rubs always used to stick to my hand and then come off in lumps into the butt. It was always so difficult to apply rub on the sides (most ended up on the counter). I also used MUCH more rub when using my bare hand. But now it's this smooth, uniform, professional looking layer of spice on top of the butt.

I'm a believer. I'm pretty sure the glove pays for itself just from having less waste on the counter and rub constantly sticking to your hand and washing away. Not sure what else to say. Just try one. It's a total win!!

I use nitrale gloves for my other hobbies that require mixing epoxy. You can buy boxes of them from Harbor Freight, anywhere from &5.99-$7.99.

Great tip. To avoid the clumping etc I've always scattered the rub in the bottom of a baking dish then rolled the meat in it. It kind of works but using gloves is probably the way forward. Added to shopping list! 

I use the nitrile gloves from work, so I'm always in supply. They never run out!

But you're right, they're awesome for handling rubs and meat.

I constantly change mine after handling raw meat, this way I'm not cross contaminating every other thing I touch. Like 3montes said, I go through 3-4 pairs with each cook.

Last edited:
3 to 4 pairs for each cook. Gloves are not a place to skimp. I buy wood at $50 a scoop, pay $1.69 for a $.99 butt, buy quality spices for rubs and sauces. I'm not going to worry about a $6.00 box of gloves.

I am same way. Go through 3 pair per cook probably. I buy the venum steel ones because they never break on me and are very durable. Sometimes I'm able to take them off and reuse for same cook. I have a box next to sink and one in the shed as well.

And when I'm working by myself, I often double glove.  Makes it easy to get all goopy, take the top glove off and still keep working with the next phase of the cook without fear of cross contamination.

Saves so much time not having to wash or ending up with those rub colored hands. Also when working with chili's your hands dont pick up oils which can lead to unmentionable burns. No better way to prevent cross contamination. I normally wear Diamond Grip textured for easier handling of knives, utensils, etc. And yes it pays to double up for reasons above.

3 to 4 pairs for each cook. Gloves are not a place to skimp. I buy wood at $50 a scoop, pay $1.69 for a $.99 butt, buy quality spices for rubs and sauces. I'm not going to worry about a $6.00 box of gloves.
I agree! For what we pay for everything else, what's 25 cents or so? Not to mention just peeling them off & rinsing instead of the whole detergent washing thing every few minutes.
Hadn't thought of the rub thing. Just did a butt yesterday and made a heck of a mess with the rub...

yeahthat.gif
I agree with everything said above always have a box on hand.

Probably doesn't need to be said, but I typically purchase the food service grade grade nitrile gloves rather than the blue automotive gloves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky