Great Apple Brine & Apple Rub For Chicken or anything

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by coloradosmoker, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hot & Spicy Brine

1--Gal.--Water, 1---Gal.--Apple Juice,  1--Cup---Sugar.   1/2 Pound--Jalapenos sliced

2--Tbs--Crushed Red Pepper

Apple Rub

Coat Chicken with Mayonnaise 1st before adding Rub

6--Tbsp.--Ground Apple,  3--Tbsp.--Brown Sugar,  3--Tbsp.--Sugar, 2--Tbsp.--Salt--(Coarse--Kosher),  1--Tsp.--Paprika,

1--Tsp.--Garlic Powder,  1--Tsp--Ground Black Pepper, (optional)--1--Tsp--Cayenne Pepper

I used apple wood chips set temp. 260 time about 2 hours pull when breast temp. hit

To make dried apples take cookie sheet spray or butter slice 3 or 4 apples vary thin

salt & put brown sugar on apple slices to dry out put in oven at 150  for 3 hours after it

appears that  they are drying take out let rest over night & when they are vary crunchy

in morning they are ready to grind them.

I did my chicken Spatch Cock it came out great & tasted great I did 2 chickens

I smoked it in mt Mess--40--------Ken

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Sounds like a great brine and rub...but where are the photos?   :)

3. No Photos because my wife drop camera last week & broke it & have not got a new one yet

--------------------Ken

4. Thanks for the recipe!

5. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sorry to hear about the camera

Thanks for the recipe [​IMG]

6. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

The rub you have posted is a slightly modified version of  "Pig's Worst Nightmare", the original uses turbinado sugar(as well as brown sugar) and skips the cayenne pepper.

I know this because it is a very popular rub with BBQers everywhere. I have also modified it to suit my tastes by substituting cinnamon for the garlic. My version is in the Wiki section of SMF-

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/rib-rub-recipes, scroll down, it's the third recipe down.

The original was posted in 2007 by a user called "Portergolf" here-

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5274

I love using that apple rub on pork loins and pork tenderloins.

BTW you can buy dried apples, I use dried Granny Smith's in my rub.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Both recipes sound good. Thanks!

8. nmaust

nmaust Meat Mopper

Trying this tomorrow.