Got The Shakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrsb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Parkville,MO
I haven't smoked anything since Monday. I can handle being an addict, just need my fix. So tomorrow I am going to put on some beef short ribs and a meatloaf. I also got some stew meat and thought about smoking it as well. It is already cubed. I would like to put it over some egg noodles or rice. Not really wanting everything that would normally go into a stew. Just the meat with some sauce over the egg noodles. Here's where I need help. I have to have a recipe, I'm not too creative. I need advice on a sauce or even a gravy.

Any suggesstions? I know, around here that's like asking Clinton if he has any cigars!

With all due respect, Mrs. B, even Clinton had to buy them somewhere! So we will continue with a new idea.

I tried to search up a good gravy recipe for you and fell short, however there is hope!

Marinate your beef in Italian dressing overnight.

Just before you're ready to pull the meat from the smoker have your noodles ready. Now, when you drain your noodles turn the heat under the pot to very low. After the noodles are in the colander hit the bottom of the noodle boiler with some EVOO as well as some minced garlic and some broccoli flowerettes over the low heat. Turn off the heat in about three minutes and add your marinated, smoked beef. Add the noodles. Toss in a couple of pats of real butter and let the whole shebang come together for a couple of minutes. Give a final stir and serve with Garlic Bread and some salad fixin's.

I have purposely not given measurements because everytime I do this there are variables. More or less meat, different noodle types, etc.

What I am doing here is passing on an idea which you can develop!

Have fun with it!

Cheers!

Well as to the beefie short ribs.......don't forget the mojo crillio.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Lets go off the deep end here. How about a brown enchilada sauce. I put that over my smoked meat balls. For a recipe I just google it and look for the easiest one.

I'd go for pulling the smoked ribs and adding to a creamy sauce.

-put 3T butter in a pan and melt
-add 3T flour and stir constantly over med heat for 1 min
-press 2 cloves garlic and stir for about 30 sec
-Add about 1.5-2C broth (beef, chicken, or pork) about 1/2c at a time. After you add some broth stir until smooth then add some more. Use only enough broth to get the thickness you like.
-replacing some of the broth with cream or half and half works well too
-add meat
-simmer for about 10 min
-pour over noodles. yum!

This is the basic sauce but use what you have on hand to add to it. Brown some mushrooms and chuck them in, same goes for onions, salt and pepper to taste, cream cheese, blue cheese, pamesean, cayanne, all of these add great things to the sauce. Add cheese at the end before you toss with noodles.

Here is what I use for the gravy over noodles.

Saute sliced mushrooms and finely chopped onion over med heat. remove and then add
-put 3T butter in a pan and melt
-add 3T flour and stir constantly over med heat for about 10 min making a rich dark roux. Kind of a light chocolate color. Next deglaze pan with a cup of Burgandy and let reduce.
-Add about 1.5-2C broth (beef) about 1/2c at a time. After you add some broth stir until smooth then add some more. Use only enough broth to get the thickness you like.

-next add a container of sour cream
-add meat
-simmer for about 10 min
-pour over noodles. yum!

Don't forget to season with salt and pepper.

Hey Mrs. B,

The best sauces are made from pan drippings. Since you are smoking two kinds of beef, just smoke them in some kind of pan. When the meat is done, pour the pan drippings into a sauce pan. If there is not enough liquid to make the amount of gravy/sauce that you want, add some beef broth. Heat this liquid to almost boiling and add a slurry of flour and water, probably 1/4 flour to a half cup of water. Add and continue cooking till boiling. The sauce will be as thick as it is going to get after a minute of boiling. If not thick enough, add more slurry. When right thickness is achieved, taste and figure out what seasoning is needed. Enjoy! The flavor of this sauce will be worth the extra effort.

one family size cream of mushroom, and one packet of lipton onion soup mix. It is easy and very good, that is what we put with pot roast in the crock pot.

hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky