GOSM manufacturer support (or lack thereof)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rideutah

Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Ok, I'm very new at this, but I had hoped to have some experience by now. Unfortunately the Great Outdoors company will not support their product.

Here's the story. My wife bought me a Smoky Mountain Series smoker (3005G) from Amazon.com for Christmas. While assembling I noticed there were some minor dents around it, but nothing too major. The bigger problem is that the water tray was missing. I did as the instructions said and contacted the manufacturer instead of contacting Amazon. I was told that they would send me the tray, but it might take a bit and I should find and buy a pan that will fit in there (I still fail to see why I should spend more money because of their screwup). Anyway, I patiently waited while my smoker sits unused. After far too long waiting I called them back. I was put on hold for a while, then told that it's still on backorder and wouldn't be available for a couple of months. They said there is nothing more they can do, and that it shouldn't be used until I get the tray. The only other thing I could do is return it to the retailer. I called Amazon and they said that they could have given a PARTIAL refund if it was returned within 30 days, but now they won't do anything. So I can't return it to the retailer, the manufacturer won't do anything. Now what? How about they go down to their local WalMart and find me a pan that fits, pack it up and ship it to me. Again, this is their screw-up not mine.

So here I sit. I still haven't smoked anything. This hunk of tin is just gathering dust and cobwebs in my garage. I don't want to use it in case they decide they want it back for some reason.

Has anyone had any success at all getting a concern escalated within that company? Do you have any contact numbers other than the 1-800 number included in the instructions?

piece of advice ...just go buy a cake pan or you might even have something in your cabinets that could work for a water pan..don't count on them to make a move because it probably won't happen...no sense in letting a good smoker sit there useless because of a water pan...my $ .02

Ride - sounds as if another failed customer service experience has left you sitting on the back burner (literally) until you get that pan. Out of curiosity have you checked into how much a new water pan would cost, or can you use something to improvise a water pan for the time being? It stinks that you're getting the shaft from the manufacturer, however if all you're waiting on is a pan maybe it's worth getting a new pan to get that thing fired up.

I realize it's the principle of the matter with the Great Outdoors not fulfilling on their promise, but keep pestering them until you get an answer on that water pan. They can't be back-ordered forever, and if anything, they should be able to break into a box with a brand new smoker and have the pan from that one, shipped to you... mention that if you're able to get in touch with someone up there that can help.

Lastly, please stop by Roll Call and introduce yourself to the gang officially. We're nosey and want to know more about you (where you're from, what smoking experience you've got, etc ...).

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your lack of service. In case you havn't seen this thread it may help explain why you didn't get the service you deserved.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=16657

Knowing that I wouldn't waste anymore time finding something to work as a waterpan so you can start turning out some good eats!

Hope to see some Q-view from you soon.

As for what smoking experience I have....absolutely none! This was to be my first but I've been waiting nearly 6 months for the stupid part! :(

dang man, six months!?!? like was said before, there's the principal of it, but you have to figure that your time is worth money too. At some point you just have to cut your losses, and move on. If a $2 cake pan from the store would work for a water pan, you'd be money ahead to just buy one and move on, rather than continue to waste time hassling with the company for the replacement.

Chalk it up as a learning experience, use the crap outta your GOSM and when it's time to upgrade don't give them a second thought and find a more reputable company.

Good luck and happy smoking!!!

Sorry to hear about this....not good customer service. GOSM is owned by CFM Home Products. Here is some info from their web sight that may help.
Customer Care Centre
2695 Meadowvale Blvd
Mississauga, Ontario
L5N 8A3
Toll Free: 1.800.668.5323
Fax: 1.877.565.2929
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm (Eastern Standard Time)

Good Luck

If it helps I have not used my water pan for other than catching drippings. I have not used water in it for over 3 years. Find a pan that will fit, foil, and makes for easy clean up. Its to bad cause its a great product but they sure don't make it easy on us consumers.

It's an excellent smoker, I have one, I know it is not right and you don't want to do it, but I would just find me a pan that fits there and use it. GOSM is goin through a tough financial time, production is pretty much shut down and the only hope fer the company is ifin someone buys it. Fraid yer in fer a long wait, it's not right, but I wouldn't let a thin like a water pan hold up my smoke. Just my 2 coppers worth yall.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, man! I just bought a GOSM, and luckily it had all the bits and pieces, so I hope I don't have to deal with them! Like others suggested, you might want to just suck it up at this point and get a replacement pan of some sorts so you can get smoking! It sucks, but GOSM sure doesn't sound like they're going to deliver anytime soon!

I had the same thing happen to me recently... I bought my son a giant jungle gym, and after it was all put together, there was one hand-hold missing. I followed the manual's request and contacted the manufacturer. They immediately got back with me and said they would ship me one if I gave them my address. After I sent my address, I heard nothing, despite repeated follow-ups! Nothing ticks me off worse than poor customer service... If you're going to take my money in exchange for a product, at least support the darn thing!

Yeah, that is the manufacturer's website for online parts sales. There is NO WAY I'm putting money there. I'm positive I will be told it is on backorder, they will keep my money, and I will have to wait several months to get the pan. No use throwing good money after bad.

There is a reason companies like this go through hard times, and it is usually due to very poor customer service / satisfaction.

Well I Just ordered a smoke not sure which one. what is the difference between the big block and the deluxe. I got the Model 3605BGD. hope everything shows up. I will see in 5-10 business days. the only down side is I will be in Alaska when it shows.
icon_sad.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky