GOSM Low Heat Fix (w/pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cascadedad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Right side of Washington State
OK, as I promised.

I have only been able to get my GOSM down to about 250* to 260* during the heat of the day (temps between 90* and 100*). So, as recommended in another thread, I purchased one of these.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/nv1...urner_part.htm

When I went to install it, the threads were not the right size.
mad.gif
I have been busy with work and coaching football so was unable to make it to the hardware store until this evening. The store closed at 8:00 and I squeaked in at 7:55 to get the two remaining pieces. The first photo is what it looked like after the valve was installed.

The next picture is the flame with the needle valve open which is the same flame as I had prior to installing the new valve. The last picture is the flame with the needle valve adjusted down. It works excellent and I think I could take my temperature WAY down low. Probably lower than 200 now without any problem.

So, I would highly recommend this mod to everyone. From what I have read, MOST of the small GOSMs will barely make it down to 225 when it is hot ouside and a lot have trouble getting down to 250.

Thanks for everyone that helped on this.

Oh, before you order one of these valves, you may want to check your hardware store. The store I went to had a couple different needle valves right where all the fittings were. I didn't even look to see if they would work as it was last call for checkout.

YEHAW!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

1c83a085_vbattach13998.jpg

eebefaf0_vbattach13997.jpg

47c3aac8_vbattach13996.jpg

Uh oh...the regulator's not a 1/4" npt?? What did you have to get?? 3/8" - 1/4" adapters?? I bought a couple of needle valves from the same site, and am going to install one on my GOSM tomorrow (after my trip to Lowe's , apparently).

Apparently.......
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

The fittings were marked 1/4" to 1/8" and 1/8" to a 1/4". I assume that these dimensions are the ID of the hoses these fittings work for. I recommend you do what I did. Take the regulator and the needle valve with you.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That was an excellent explanation followed by some pictures that showed your install of the needle valve, and the before and after pictures of the control of gas to the burner. Very well done.

That's exactly what I did, and you're right, the regulator and hose are 1/8" npt, while the needle valve is 1/4". Got my parts this morning, and I'm good to go for this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'm having a SAFTY concern on doing this, your going below what it was safty tested at without it being blown out by any wind, dont get me wrong tho youve got me thinking about doing this too.
Did you try blowing on the burnner to see if it would go out set to low like that? now i know theres days with out any wind but i dont want to find my rear end sitting on a lawn a block away with old people looking at me like i was a UFO that just landed in there yard
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Roswell all over again
biggrin.gif

Do some more test and see how reliable it is, hate to see this thread become a "Dont try this on your GOSM" look at what happened to me
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
I dont want to see that happen to you or anyone, so be darn carefull man and really put it through some tests, besides a newbie could get wind of this and try it them self and get hurt if they dont know the flame can go out when its that low, something to keep in mind.

keep us updated on how it does cas ok

chrish, thanks very much for posting and explaining your concern. I do have little kids, and I would definitely hate to have them see me in two pieces in the neighbor's yard
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif
or worse yet one of them get hurt.

I am doing a brisket tomorrow and will do a little playing around with the flame and report back.

Tomorrow, I will be using SmokyOkie's method of doing brisket, so will be running the smoker at 250*-260*. I really don't think it will be a problem running it down at 225* or slightly below, as that is where some of them run naturally.

I will definitely do some major testing before trying to go any lower than 225*.

Again, thanks for watching my back. I really appreciate it.

hay i dont want to see any one getting hurt with a mod such as this, so you test thaat sucker out to the fullest extent
icon_smile.gif
to give us a thumbs up and any down falls to be aware of things to be on the look out for, looks like you are are panzy if you get yourself killed well know better
icon_smile.gif
I hope i wasnt to hard on my concern in safty or offend you in any way, man i wouldnt mind seeing a neighbor fly thriugh the sky as long as its not me
icon_smile.gif
but buy the order of the army we need the results in 30 days if this is safe enough to go to space or not
icon_smile.gif
take your time dont rush it hehehe be safe

how old are you kids? how old are you? i was born in 1966 sept 16 40 and still thinking 20
PDT_Armataz_01_39.gif
and still in basic trianning hehehe

Give it a big fan of wind by opening and closing the door real fast if it doesn't blow out you should be fine! I'd be more concerned with checking for leaks around the fittings with soapy water than the flame.

chrish, No problem at all. I was thinking about what you said before you said it, but it still doesn't hurt to have a reminder (lil slap in the face). I may not have thought about mentioning it to others, so you definitely did the right thing.

I am almost 43. My kids are.... daughter (4), son (9), daughter (12) and son (15). Awesome kids, I could not have been blessed more.

Debi, I checked the fittings out also.

I have an 11 lb brisket on right now, 1 hour in. Using SmokyOki's technique. I'll have a writeup in the beef section sometime today.

also i frogot to add that on the brinkman web site you can get smaller BTU burnners that should fit on the GOSM, and for being so open minded on all this ive gave you some rep points, good job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
keep testing that mod tho and let us know how it works out.

and soon here cascadedad ill have a 3D sig that you can use

When I drove to town today, to get the bushings for a proper fit, the hardware man told me that regular white teflon tape won't work on gas, the gas eats it up, you need to get the yellow teflon tape. I sure didn't know that.
icon_eek.gif
Terry

Until burner makers make it standard for a burner to auto shutoff the gas flow if the flame goes out, here's one suggestion. Try using a wireless/remote thermo that goes off when the temp. drops, that's what will happen as soon as the flame goes out. I've actually watched a thermo drop when I ran out of gas. Just a suggestion towards safety.

That is another excellent suggestion. I turned my burner off today and the digital readout drops like a rock. I will set a low temp alarm next time.

I did turn the gas down with the needle valve so the flame was very low. I had to blow in it very hard to get it to go out. I also marked the dial on the needle valve to indicate where the off is and where the safe operating range is.

I did the mod above also due to being unable to get the smoker temp below 250. I did the fix yesterday am with a couple trips to the hardware store! I used white tape though does anyone else have any input on white or yellow tape?? I did test with soapy water and no leaks of course.

I did do a batch of ABTs! mmmmmmm Also ribs and a chicken. Had no issues with keeping the temp where I wanted or with flame staying lit.

When I used to work at Ace Hardware in college there was the white stuff that was like 89 cents a roll (for water and air fittings), and yellow tape that was like $4.99 for a roll. Same width, but made for gas fittings. I'd probably err on the side of caution. If they make special stuff for gas, there's probably a reason.

when I put my needle valve on my GOSM I used a pipe thread compound ( used for water , stream , natural gas and air lines ) found a hardware stores .

After doing a little reading on the internet, mostly what I found was that the white is not rated for gas and the yellow is. But, I didn't find anything that said that gas would deteriorate the white tape. Was more that the white tape shreds and brakes apart very easy and if a piece gets into the line it could really mess up regulators, valves, etc. I did mine with white but will probably redo it with yellow.

If you do this, just be very careful you get all the little white pieces out. It is behind the regulator, but I assume that little pieces of of the tape could cause some major flow problems if caught in the wrong spot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky