GOSM Big Block Vent Modification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

c2500

Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Greenville, SC
Looking for opinions....

On my Big Block, I felt the vents were being left "too open" with the factory stops intact. I removed the stops, and when I used it (twice now) I closed off the top one and kept the side ones open a little less than if the stops were still there. The unit smoked nicely, as I could see it escaping through the top a bit (as it is not air tight) as well as around the door. The food tasted fine. Has anyone else done this mod.?

Thanks,

c2500

c2500 Hello there...
I too have a Big Block...and I leave the top vent open, and the two side vents closed to the stock stops...the reason for this ...as I have gathered from reading all the advice from all the pros here on the forum...and it makes perfectly good sense...you need the smoke to pass around the meat...to season it...by keeping the top vent closed you run into the chance of creating too much creasote and making whatever you are smoking bitter... just think about it...

Later
Richard

Vulcan 75001.

I am concerned about creosote. But it seems to me there is alot of air being drawn in via the area around the burner. In fact, the first time I used it a thunderstorm came up, and the wind kept blowing the burner out. As for smoke surrounding the food, I figure that it since it leaks at the top of the door, it is moving around inside.

Disclaimer: I am not disagreeing or being argumentative...just throwing out some observations and looking for input...aka looking to get some education. I also have been using a Primo Kamado for close to 3 years and have had excellent results with the the air intake and chimmney barely open but I also am aware this is a different type of appliance.

Thanks,

c2500

c2500

Disclaimer Noted...
I have had some windy days here and I have never had the problem of the burner blowing out...
with the top vent closed you can't be creating much of a draft to keep the smoke flowing past your food...it must just be swirling round and round...now this is another thought...with your top vent closed...you are also keeping in a lot of heat...causing you to turn down the burner control to maintain your smoking temp...and with it being turned down so low...it would be a lot easier to get blown out..

Richard

c2500

Let me also say...if what you are doing is working for you and you are getting the results you are expecting...then by all means...do it your way...

Later
Richard

Richard,

Good point about the burner blowing out. I had not thought of that. It was set between medium and low at the time.

Thanks,

c2500

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky