GOSM big block temp variations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
These are the details on rack temp variations on my GOSM big block.
Outside temp is 76º
Only using bottom rack
Water pan has 3 pitchers of water
GOSM regulator between high and middle setting

The top rack reads 250º
Middle rack reads 375º (no pic)
Bottom rack reads 425º

At the lowest setting, the top rack will get down to 175. I'm so lucky to have so much control over temps. Ist pic is Susie Q and the Thin Blue. 2nd pic is of all the rack temps. 3rd pic is of top rack temp. 4th pic is of bottom rack temp. 5th pic is Q View of some Smokin' Smitty Wings, I did drop the temp to 350 for the wings.
81264a22_vbattach18163.jpg

7ccc7a65_vbattach18162.jpg

e555baaa_vbattach18161.jpg

303a8ab9_vbattach18160.jpg

9cadd86c_vbattach18159.jpg

Do you have a meat thermometer with a probe? If you do, calibrate it then check your shelf temps instead of your door thermometers. Try a run or test without the water also. My smoker there is a 20 degree different from bottom rack to top rack. I also have my dampers closed as far as the tabs will allow. Your 250 at the middle rack on half sounds about right. Hope this helps.

I checked the calibration of the therms before installation, using boiling water and then compared to the calibrated meat probes on the rack, all the same temps. The bottom dampers where closed, upper one wide open. The temp is being read about 1/2 in. below the rack, and about 1 in. beyond the front of the rack. I cook by internal temps and the Q comes out right everytime. Placing the GOSM in/out of the direct sunlight makes a big differnce in cabinet temps, at least in my area. Just got lucky.

I have my top vent closed to where its only open what the tab allows. some people have bent there tabs back but I wouldn't cause you need some air flow. Play with the vents and you will find what works best for you. Where I smoke I am also outta of the sun so I don't have the problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky