Goose Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Faceplant247

Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
Denton, TX
I recently came into some goose breast, and wanted to try my hand at goose pastrami. Some recipes call for brining the goose breast using Morton's Tender Quick in a sugar/salt/spice solution anywhere from 7-14 days and then smoking to an internal temp of 160 (see this thread: http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/goose-pastrami-recipe.950946/).

Brining that long seems excessive to me. Hank Shaw has a recipe that calls for a dry cure using cure #1 for a much shorter time 2-3 days).

Can you give me your thoughts on Tender Quick vs. Instacure #1 and dry cure for a short time period vs. wet brine for longer?

Ultimately, I'm looking for a moist medium-rare pastrami.

That's the recipe I saw on Honest Food as well, but I'm really trying to tell the difference between his recipe and the wet brine recipe I linked to above.

The wet brine is much more dilute than the dry rub, hence the long soaking time. Eight days still seems like a long time for a piece of meat hat is no more than two inches thick. I’ve not done a wet brine on goose but when I’ve done beef, I do like the dry brine results better. YMMV.

Faceplant,

I far prefer a dry cure over brining, which I haven't done for many years. Also, I exclusively use Instacure #1 which was what I began with when I started curing. If for no other reason than that, I wouldn't consider switching to TQ, and I imagine those that started with TQ feel the same way.

When considering the 2 recipe sources, I'd definitely go with Hank Shaw. He's a very credible recognized pro, and the others are a few random anonymous amateurs on a duck hunting forum. That's not meant to be a bad rap on them, but when trying for the first time, I prefer to follow the directions of a well known high quality source.

I've never done Hank's goose breast pastrami but a couple years ago I did his German smoked goose breast recipe and it was amazing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky