gonna try a brisket tomorrow.. any tips?

Discussion in 'Beef' started by oonighttrain, Sep 8, 2007.

1. oonighttrain

oonighttrain Smoke Blower

[​IMG] i plan on doiung a brisket tomorrow.. it will be my second try.. well, i dont really count the first one, i had no clue what i was doing.. so, after reading many posts about this, im gonna try about an 8 pounder tomorrow..

the plan is to spice er up tonite, wrap overnight.. slap her on th esmoker at a temp of about 240. wrap in foil when she hits 160????

lemme know if that sounds ok...

btw, id lik eto eat between 6 and 7 pm.. what time do i need to start smoking would you say?

thanks!!

2. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

A general guideline is an hour and a half per pound. That's 12 hours in your case. I would have the smoker at temp and the brisket in by 5AM in case you have an extended plateau, where the temp does not change because the connective tissue in the meat is breaking down and absorbing the heat. If it finishes early, wrap the foiled brisket in a couple old bath towels and put it in an insulated cooler. It can stay coolered for a couple hours and still be hot enough to serve.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

3. What's the brisket weigh? Count on 1 1/2 per pound cooking time @ 200 - 225 degrees, depending on your smoker. Do you have a digital themometer, they really come in handy as far as internal temps. go. As your brisket cooks it will come to a plateau where the temp. just kind a hovers and stays there. Don't worry, thats the callogen breaking down. It will start to climb eventually. When it gets to 190 take it off and wrap in foil and a blanket. Put in an ice chest for an hour or so where it continue to cook. Slice and serve and be happy.