gonna do some leg quarters, what temp if i want to pull them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerseydrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
i usually do chicken at 275 for about an hour to an hour and a half (IT of 165) but if i want to pull the chicken do i take it higher?

Jdrew , hello. In my honest opinion ,they would be about right at that temp., however taking them to 170*ish... would not hurt. Thighs stay juicy well, if worried, wrap with Bacon and Cook as usual.
biggrin.gif

What you using on them
icon_question.gif
. I usually do skinless , but when there's a bunch of Fat enthusiast like my Son and the Grand Kids ... I remove it from the Thigh and crisp on the Grill , then add to the pulled Bird. Great flavor ,but Trish and Mandy are so....Ooh
icon_eek.gif
 about it, I make some to make them happy...
wife.gif

icon_redface.gif

Reason I ask is , I have found this great Sauce at Wally World and when you mix some with your favorite BBQ Sauce , is a great taste.

I was hungry and had very little Q Sauce...saw this in the Fridge and thought
icon_idea.gif
 MIX it
icon_exclaim.gif

And the taste Blew My Face Buds...
drool.gif
 If you like balsamic Vinegar, you'll love this .. could most likely Marinade in this Sauce.

Just thought of it when I read this thread,,, Have fun and . . .

Last edited:
Since they are quarters and you'll be pulling them I'd go to desired temp and cut through the leg/thigh joint to just make sure they are done enuf for what u want. Watched a Pitmasters episode last night with pulled chicken as one of the items. One guy said he pulled it at 165 but the stuff he turned in was pretty rare/raw and it cost him.

For pulling I like to take them to 180*-185*. Still super moist and that fat breaks down more. Don't scrape the fat or remove the skin until you are ready to pull. Like pulled pork I wrap the thighs and let them rest a good 45 minutes + prior to pulling. I typically run the smoker around 250*-265* and have never been disappointed with the results.

Anywhere between 170 and 180 is good!  Too much higher and you risk dry meat and there ain't nothin worse than dry chicken!!!  It doesn't have a lot of flavor but what you add anyway, and if you dry it out....well, just don't.  LOL

Good luck and let us know how they turn out.

Bill

For pulling I like to take them to 180*-185*. Still super moist and that fat breaks down more. Don't scrape the fat or remove the skin until you are ready to pull. Like pulled pork I wrap the thighs and let them rest a good 45 minutes + prior to pulling. I typically run the smoker around 250*-265* and have never been disappointed with the results.
Great Info!...Connective Tissue is Connective Tissue! Whether that be Beef, Pork or Poultry. It starts breaking down around 180*F, the only difference is the amount of Time needed to complete the job. With Poultry, the bulk of CT holds the muscle to the Bone and because birds are small the CT breaks down quickly. The time it takes to go from 180 to 185*F give or take. Big hunks of Beef and Pig, it is the hours, plus Rest, to go from 180 to 205*F...JJ
icon14.gif

thanks for all the great info i will certainly play with it. i use a simple brine for about an hour before putting it on. my normal method is from package rinse and into brine for an hour. then onto the smoker at 275 till done (usually hour to an hour and a half) then usually pop in the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. i have had good results with apple wood or pecan wood. 

sometimes i like to use this sauce called yoshidas (it's salts but good)

brine:

1 gallon water

3/4 cup kosher salt

2/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup worchestershire sauce

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky