Going to use my MES 30 for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have to agree about the fish.  I usually make salmon candy and it drips all over.  IMO, the residual fish smell contaminates any other meat.  If you do fish in the same smoker, I recommend using foil and cleaning your racks really well.

In case anyone's interested:

Shortly after I started smoking meat, I Hard-smoked 8 full loads of Salmon in my MES 30. That little Smoker was full every time. There was 19 fillets averaging 4 to 5 pounds each, cut into smaller pieces. 

After they were all done, I didn't do any special Smoker cleaning, and nobody noticed any fish flavor or smell in any of the things I smoked after all that Salmon Smoking.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but this was from my experience.

Bear

Last edited:
Glad to hear that Salmon has not been an issue for the majority of people with the MES 30. I am currently looking for a nice whole chicken smoke recipe. Thinking about brining and letting that sit for about four hours, then washing it off with water, applying some vegetable oil, applying dry rubs, let that sit for about 15, then tossing it in. I need to get it to 165, so I was thinking off putting it at 175? Not exactly sure on that.

Also, I am going to do two at the same time, hoping that is not a problem.

Glad to hear that Salmon has not been an issue for the majority of people with the MES 30. I am currently looking for a nice whole chicken smoke recipe. Thinking about brining and letting that sit for about four hours, then washing it off with water, applying some vegetable oil, applying dry rubs, let that sit for about 15, then tossing it in. I need to get it to 165, so I was thinking off putting it at 175? Not exactly sure on that.

If you're going to let it sit for any amount of time, it should be in the Fridge.

Also you will never get two or even one Chicken through the Danger zone (40° to 140°) or to a 165° IT, by using a smoker temp of 175°.

I would suggest a minimum of 225°, but for 2 whole chickens, 275° smoker temp would be better in an MES 30.

Bear

Yeah I think cooking at 275 is the way to go.   Many folks talk about the fact that chicken doesn't need to go low and slow since it doesn't have much to break down.

If you care about crispy skin, lots of folks recommend letting it sit in the fridge to air for 2-4 hours after you rinse and pat dry.     I have not done it myself, but most seem to agree on that.     But if time is a factor, if the skin isn't how you like it, you could always broil it for a couple of minutes in your oven.   I had to do that the other day for small pieces of chicken wrapped in bacon that cooked so quickly the bacon was wiggly still.

Very eager to hear back when you are done. 

Hey canada3

Afraid I'm with Dave when it comes to fish--the odor WILL linger and odds are real slim you'll be able to return it for that reason.

My suggestion would be to find a used Big or or Little Chief (they're cheap and small) and use it strictly for fish.  Best of both worlds--MES and Chief.  Just me saying.

By the way, stop by Roll Call and fill out your personal information, so people know where you are--helps answering questions you may have.

Gary

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips guys! I will smoke it at 275. How do I know when to add more chips in? Just look at the smoke coming out of the vent? Also, do you guys think adding a dry rub that has salt in it after brining it in salt will be too salty? I was thinking of doing a S&P with Paprika, onion powder and brown sugar. But thinking about it more, maybe remove the salt from that rub?

Getting her fired up.
e3918c90f2715594e91f39b6cb57f077.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Smoking it at 275. Only been in for about an hour, already at 118 internal. Is that normal? Seems very quick.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I finished the chickens. I am not sure if I did it right, but I think they are done. They are wrapped and we will be eating them in a couple hours. I had my probe in the thigh because in the past I have checked the temperature at that breast and found that i had blood in the joints. So I thought I would check it there. I brought it to 165 and then for kicks I put the probe in the breast, it was reading like 155. I took it off anyways, saying oh well. I then took the other one and put the probe right in the breast all the way thorough and brought the breast to 165. It is also wrapped as well, I guess in a couple hours I will know which was the right way to do it! Here is one of the chickens, let me know how I did!

Last edited:
We just ate the chicken. The one that was probed at the joint, was not cooked as much as the one in the breast. I prefer the consistency of the one that was probed with the breast. However, unfortunately, I really don't like either of them. :(

Couple things I think are to blame, but I can't be certain.
  1. I will not brine the next one that I do. They both came out very salty (my brine and my rub both had copious amounts of salt, like a full cup in the brine and then half a cup in the rub).
  2. The smoke flavor was too rich for me. I am a bit embarrassed to say that on this forum as that probably makes me lame, but it was just TOO rich. This may be due to the brine and rub, but I am not sure.
  3. The joints were still a bit bloody, but not too bad.
  4. I need to learn how to properly butcher a chicken, I found myself not knowing how to do anything on it. I was simply snapping wings and legs off, slicing the breast. 
My stomach is a bit upset from the richness, so I am a bit disappointed. :( However, it was only $15 for both the birds, so I am not out much. And this is how you learn right?

canada3

What kind of wood was used for the smoke? Did you have chips going the whole time or just part of the smoke? Was it thin blue smoke the whole cook?

I used apple wood chips, and I had them smoking for most of the time. There was about 1/3 of the time with no smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky