Going to be pulled pork today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well here the deal. I've been traveling this week and asked my wife to pick up a shoulder yesterday. So she went to our meat shop yesterday and picked this up. She said that the tag said shoulder and she asked the butcher for a shoulder. I asked her since it looked strange to me as well. She said she did cut off some of the fat cap (she cut off all of it!) so I know it had one. It also has bone at one end of it. How do I know for sure what it is?

If it had a bone in one end it's probably a cut down shoulder or butt. I was gonna say if it was a loin you may wanna just take it to 145° but looking again and knowing it has a bone, I think you're fine to just go ahead with pulled pork. Have fun and let us know how it turns out!

Thanks mdboatbum. I just talked to my wife again about this in more detail. Sounds like she beat the heck out of it while preparing it. I'm not mad though... Just glad I have a wife that did all that for me!

5 hrs. in and an IT of 151. Went ahead and put the legs on. My kids pig out on smoked legs (which is great.)

Will probably hit 160 in an hr. or so and then I'll get it a wrap in foil and patiently wait. :)

6.5 hours in and an IT off 167. I may not get a stall.

Having some temp issues due to adding more charcoal in a sloppy way so the smoker is running hot right now.

Having some temp issues due to adding more charcoal in a sloppy way so the smoker is running hot right now.
I hate it when that happens. Mine always seems to jump up to like 350° For 20-30 minutes. Keep up the good work man. I can't wait to see that Q view!

Still learning how to use my new WSM. I was able to manage the smoke much better this time and I'm getting a better feel how to manage the heat. Even though I messed up once (which screwed me for about 1.5 hours) I'm still looking pretty good.

It's foiled now, with a little apple juice, and ready for the 4 quarter. 8 hours in and an IT of 189.

Last edited:
Pulled it at 203 IT. Boy cooking shoulders in the WSM is way easier and better than the little grill I was using.

Here it is, ready to take a little nap in foil and a towel.

She's a little dark but I don't mind. I think some of the color comes from that issue I had for 1.5 hours. This thing is super tender though. It's only a 6 lb'er but I had to use two sets of tongs to move to the towel wrap or it would have fallen apart with just one.

Pulled it at 203 IT. Boy cooking shoulders in the WSM is way easier and better than the little grill I was using.

Here it is, ready to take a little nap in foil and a towel.

She's a little dark but I don't mind. I think some of the color comes from that issue I had for 1.5 hours. This thing is super tender though. It's only a 6 lb'er but I had to use two sets of tongs to move to the towel wrap or it would have fallen apart with just one.

Looking good so far. That bark is where the flavor is anyway (at least it's my favorite part).

Finally time to get after this thing.

Bone pulled right out with zero effort.

Despite the color darkness, this was my best pulled pork to date (thanks to the WSM I'm sure) Next time I'm going to try and inject since I've never used that technique before.

Made a little sandwich before I pile on a pound of just the pork onto the plate.

Thanks for watching. It was a good day!

Bryce

Reactions: rmmurray
Thanks Ryan! I love pulled pork as well. And thank you for the kind words (and my first points! haha)

Great job, Ryce!

points1.png

Disco

Looks really good. Remember you can totally load that wsm up with coal. When you are done just shut everything down and you have leftover for next time. You should be able to get dang near a whole day/night of cooking out of one load. No reloading needed unless you have a 20 pounder or something in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky