German Bier Wurst (with Pix)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

couger78

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Northern California
Made a simple sausage this past weekend & was really pleased with the results. I came across a recipe for 'German Bier Wurst' and since I had most of the ingredients on-hand already, I thought, 'why not?' In hind-sight, I should have started earlier in the day, but live and learn....

The Ingredients: nothing fancy. The recipe called for 1/4 tsp cardamom (15lb recipe), but since I had no cardamom in the house, I figured for 5lbs, a  missing 'pinch' of the spice would hardly be noticed.

32570ab5_BIERWURST_spices.jpg

I made a 5-pound batch coarse-grinding 2.5lbs of beef and 2.5lbs of pork shoulder. Spices mixed & re-ground through the fine plate (3mm). I only had 44mm collagen chubs so I used those. Filled four of them with enough left over to fill a collagen ring casing. Once stuffed, these sat overnight in the fridge.

Next day, I hung 'em in the smoker. no smoke for the first 90 minutes; 130° to dry them well before applying smoke.

66b910a3_BIERWURST_hang.jpg

After 90 minutes, I lit the a-maze-n smoker (cherry wood dust). I used an electric hot-plate for the first time in the smoker and found it to be an outstanding addition in keeping the temps constant at 150°—no easy chore with a large propane smoker. Smoked the chubs for 4 hours.

After nearly 2 hours of smoke @150°

6e1c7c7b_BIERWURST_90MIN.jpg

I then cranked up the temp (propane) to 170° for the next two hours, then bumped it up to 180°. FINALLY, the IT made it to 155°  but not until midnight(!), some 12 hours after I first put them in.

Hanging to bloom in the early morning hours.....

3d93d26f_BIERWURST_bloom.jpg

After 2 hours, I moved them to the fridge.

The results the next morning:

dc085058_BIERWURST_slices2.jpg

9543abba_BIERWURST_slice.jpg

eb16e803_BIERWURST_slices3.jpg

Very tasty & they smell great! Next time I'll use a larger diameter casing (3.5-4") for sandwich-sized slices.

Mild flavor; pleasing texture. A little 'tang' would be a nice addition next time too. I fried some up & sure enough, very similar to a good fried bologna! 

—Kevin

Last edited:
I didn't see any beer in your recipe.   Wikapedia says they call it beer sausage because it is meant to be eaten with beer.  Sounds good to me.  A couple of big kaiser rolls, some spicy mustard and an ice cold Heine.  I'm set, great looking sausage.

I didn't see any beer in your recipe.   Wikapedia says they call it beer sausage because it is meant to be eaten with beer.  Sounds good to me.  A couple of big kaiser rolls, some spicy mustard and an ice cold Heine.  I'm set, great looking sausage.
Yes, according to the recipe, BEER is a key ingredient to be added in varying amounts per personal taste at the moment of wurst consumption...
biggrin.gif

thanks!

Kevin

Looks great Kevin!

I've been making fresh sausage for a while.

Now I've got to move on to curing & smoking some.

Yours look delicious!

Couger, that looks outstanding. I'll bet that would make an excellent lunchmeat in a larger casing. I'd like to try it. Recipe? 

Couger, that looks outstanding. I'll bet that would make an excellent lunchmeat in a larger casing. I'd like to try it. Recipe? 
Next time, I'll use a 4" casing and a larger batch. This batch will go quickly.

The original recipe is for 15lbs. To do a five-pound load, some of the 1/3 adjustments were easy (1 TBL > 1 tsp); For the smaller & odd measurement conversions (1/3 of 4TBL salt) I did it by weight (grams). Since I use kosher salt and most recipes use standard non-iodized table salt, I wind up weighing the recipe's amount for 'regular' salt in grams, and measure out an identical weight in kosher (which is always a much greater volume). I didnt add the cardamom (1/4 tsp divided by 3), but a 'pinch' would suffice. I did a 50/50 pork/beef ratio.

German Bier Wurst 

7 lbs. beef 
8 lbs. pork 
1 Tbs. black pepper 
1 Tbs. whole mustard seeds 
1 Tbs. cure #1 
¼ tsp. cardamon 
1 tsp. nutmeg 
1 Tbs. dextrose 
4 Tbs. salt 
1 cup powdered milk 
½ tsp. garlic granules 
15 oz. ice water 

• Grind meat together through a 3/16 “ plate, add spices and water. Mix until you get a bind. (at this point I ground the mixture again using a fine plate (3mm). Not in the original recipe, but I found this gave the final wurst a very smooth texture. This step may also 'grind up' some of the mustard seed, so if you wish to have more visible seeds, add them after the fine grind).
• Stuff into 3-4” cases. Let rest overnight in the fridge to meld to spices and cure.
• Place in smoker at 120 F for 2 hrs, no smoke.
• Increase temp to 150 F apply smoke for 4 hrs, ( I used cherry, which is a very mild smoke; hickory would add a bit more to the flavor profile)

• Increase temp to 170 F and continue until internal temp of 155 F. (*For me, this step took nearly 8 hours...  
shocked.gif
)

• Remove from smoker and shower with cold water for 5 minutes then hang at room temp for 2 hrs to bloom. Place in cooler overnight then slice or package.

Last edited:
Next time, I'll use a 4" casing and a larger batch. This batch will go quickly.

The original recipe is for 15lbs. To do a five-pound load, some of the 1/3 adjustments were easy (1 TBL > 1 tsp); For the smaller & odd measurement conversions (1/3 of 4TBL salt) I did it by weight (grams). Since I use kosher salt and most recipes use standard non-iodized table salt, I wind up weighing the recipe's amount for 'regular' salt in grams, and measure out an identical weight in kosher (which is always a much greater volume). I didnt add the cardamom (1/4 tsp divided by 3), but a 'pinch' would suffice. I did a 50/50 pork/beef ratio.

German Bier Wurst 

7 lbs. beef 
8 lbs. pork 
1 Tbs. black pepper 
1 Tbs. whole mustard seeds 
1 Tbs. cure #1 
¼ tsp. cardamon 
1 tsp. nutmeg 
1 Tbs. dextrose 
4 Tbs. salt 
1 cup powdered milk 
½ tsp. garlic granules 
15 oz. ice water 

• Grind meat together through a 3/16 “ plate, add spices and water. Mix until you get a bind. (at this point I ground the mixture again using a fine plate (3mm). Not in the original recipe, but I found this gave the final wurst a very smooth texture. This step may also 'grind up' some of the mustard seed, so if you wish to have more visible seeds, add them after the fine grind).
• Stuff into 3-4” cases. Let rest overnight in the fridge to meld to spices and cure.
• Place in smoker at 120 F for 2 hrs, no smoke.
• Increase temp to 150 F apply smoke for 4 hrs, ( I used cherry, which is a very mild smoke; hickory would add a bit more to the flavor profile)

• Increase temp to 170 F and continue until internal temp of 155 F. (*For me, this step took nearly 8 hours...  
shocked.gif
)

• Remove from smoker and shower with cold water for 5 minutes then hang at room temp for 2 hrs to bloom. Place in cooler overnight then slice or package.
Thanks Kevin, I gotta try it. Looks great. I'm finding out that I need to get up and get started with this smoked sausage thing much earlier than I have been. These long smokes have been making for very late nights. Too much for an old repribate such as myself. I've been using 2 parts Hickory and one part Cherry for my sausage smokes using an AMSN. It makes for an excellent flavor profile. 

That Looks Awesome!!! I have the same recipe and it's on my to-doo list. I was also thinking of leaving out the cardamon, While shopping last sunday I grabed a small bottle of it and then noticed it was $11 for the 1.5 oz bottle....back on the shelf it went.

That Looks Awesome!!! I have the same recipe and it's on my to-doo list. I was also thinking of leaving out the cardamon, While shopping last sunday I grabed a small bottle of it and then noticed it was $11 for the 1.5 oz bottle....back on the shelf it went.
Lol! The best places to get cardamom are in ethnic markets, particularly Indian markets, where you can find it in bulk and smaller quantities for about a fraction of the price one would pay in the chain grocery stores. I don't use it everyday except when making indian dishes & only keep a small supply on hand. Currently I'm out of it but didnt think the omission of the small amount in the recipe would be noticed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky