Gator Pits?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gator makes a great pit, but being in Houston, you should check out all the key makers, Klose, Gator, Pits by JJ and Lonestar. You could also check out East Texas Smoker company. You could also look at Pitmaker, as I do like their Sniper model in concept (haven't seen them in person) as they're insulated and seem to seal very well.

On a side note, I just picked up a Superior Smoker SS-2, which is a vertical gravity smoker using charcoal. I'd really thought I'd end up with a traditional offset, along the lines of a Klose Backyard Chef (and might someday), but doing competitions, I wanted the fuel economy and lack of need to attend the pit like I would with the offset. (plus cost was much less)

If ya are goin horizontal nothin wrong with a gator pit. I came close to buying one but in the end choose a Lang. The biggest thing that made my choice was the Lang has a reverse flow system and a square fire box. The square firebox comes in handy sometimes as a additional cooking surface. a Cast iron trivit and a griddle and breafast is served.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky